PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day Fishing Choices

Deckstar
10-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Going to be visiting the Pleasant Hill area for Turkey Day with my in-laws and I am hoping to go fishing Nov.24th & 25th. Since I am married with small kids, I need to be able to maximize my time away so I don't get in too much trouble with the boss.

I like to fish for big fat trout and steelies (who doesn't)
I am thinking about hiring a guide and going out for one or both days

My options:
- American River
- Yuba River
- Trinity River
- Lower Sac
- Delta Fishing for Stripers

If you were wanting to get the best bang for your buck and HOT FISHING
where would you go? and who would you go with? (guide)

I am not the most familiar with how far places are from Pleasant Hill, but i do know that driving time could be water time........ but i am looking for a good trip.

I may do 2 half days or one full day guide fishing or maybe 2 full days.
I am also looking to see if there is anyone who might want to split guide fees and go with! I will give whoever that angler is a free float in my nice clacka on the Yakima River in Washington.

I've checked with a few already.......... but I'd love to know who is a
GET-ER DONE Guide!

Darian
10-16-2006, 11:23 AM
At the time you're gonna be here, Striper fishing in the Delta is probably your best bet for a local trip (translation: low travel time) and potential for "hot fishing" and there're several guides in the area that can put you over some fish. 8) 8)

Try Jerry at www.deltastripers.com or Andy Guibord at Kiene's Fly Shop (Bill is the owner of this board). This is not a complete listing of all of the good guides for the Delta. 8) 8)

If your heart is set on Steelhead, I would consider the Lower Feather River (near Oroville) before the American which fishes better after the first of the year and the Yuba that hasn't been fishing well this year. There'll be plenty of Steelhead available and if it's raining, the low flow section of the river will still be fishable. 8) 8) Also, it's about 25 miles further than going to the Yuba. A guide to consider on the feather is Tony Buzolich; a member of this BB. 8) 8) His e-mail address and website are listed under "Memberlist", for the BB.

Hope you have a good trip.... :D :D :D

Deckstar
10-20-2006, 01:12 AM
thanks for the info Darian!
you've earned yourself a free day on
the Yakima River, Skagit or Skykomish in my clacka if you're ever up my
way! Plus one nice cold Mac and Jack's African Amber

160+ views and one reply :?
you cali boys are a chatty bunch!
just remember that when you come up
to my neck of the woods......

what comes around goes around! :roll:

Hairstacker
10-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Deckstar, maybe it's just me, but if you had simply asked what everyone's preferred option would be among your choices, I think you would have got more verbal input. But when you raised your criteria to the level of HOT FISHING, in all caps no less, for 1 or 2 days of fishing, I think most were unwilling to commit to any of your choices as being such a sure thing. In fact, I'd like to learn about such a location! :lol:

Soon after you made your first post, I had voted above for stripers in the Delta. Pleasant Hill is next door to the Delta, you'll be in the midst of the season, and you COULD have a great day out there. But can I assure you will experience HOT FISHING? No. And if you've never gone there for stripers, I would most certainly recommend a guide. As Darian suggested, contact JerryinLodi or KD (Kevin Doran of Delta Adventures), both members of this board. Whatever you choose, I sincerely hope you get into 'em! 8)

dtp916
10-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm gonna have to say no to the Yuba. I used to go there a lot several years back and the fishing was awesome, but Darian is right this year it's not doing too well :? :? :? I used to be able to nail fish all day long on sz. 16 PT nymphs. Lower Sac should be good and there's lots of nice size fish lurking around in there.

Wherever you do end up going, good luck! 8)

ernest v
10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Delta, disco bay so I can mooch pie from all my nieghbors.

hookedupanglers
11-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Deckstar, You are looking at a 4 to 6 hr drive if you want to fish Nor cal for trout or Steelhead depending on which you choose. I know we are a month away from your trip but here is my thoughts.

1) If you want to catch large trout and steelhead, but dont mind crowds go to the lower Sac. Be sure to call the Fly Shop in redding for Flies, and guides.

2) fish for free at the Feather river. By the time you get up here things should be in full swing. The standard egg and nymph will do the trick.

3) Fish for free Yuba river below hyw 20. The yuba is making a great comback as far as bug life. The high water winter we had really hurt the system. The last few weeks have been getting better and better each time out. It should be full of wild Steelhead and Wild trout feeding away on lots of caddis, and Mayfly's not to mention egg patterns.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-02-2006, 12:56 AM
From where you will be located I think in two days I would opt for the Delta for Stripers.

If you had more time I would hit the Trinity River for Steelhead.

PS: I forgot how to vote?