PDA

View Full Version : Dying to hear about the Forebay!

JerryInLodi
10-14-2006, 10:24 PM
I had planned to attend the NCFFB bash at the forebay this weekend but my Saturday was filled with honey-do's by my wife and I had to cancel.

The weather from a perspective of 60 miles north looked perfect.

Anxiously waiting for those big fish pictures!

jbird
10-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Jerry

I didnt know where else to make this comment, but, I really appreciated your posts on blantons site regarding naturalizing stripers. I agree with everything you said. I didnt want to comment on that thread cause there were too many 'bug-huggers' chiming in and thought it best to keep my gun holstered.lol ...Very interesting thread...

Jay

PS I am headed down to sac. in a couple weeks and am staying for 3 days. I told my wife i new a guy that might take me fishin down there (you :) ) alas, she said "NO FISHING ON THIS TRIP!" LOL
Next time perhaps. :D

JerryInLodi
10-14-2006, 11:13 PM
I absolutely promise not to tell that we went fishing! When are you coming so I can save the day? Cell # 209-327-5993. I should have an extra nine weight put together by next weekend. You don't even have to sneak something into the car!

Yes, the idea of "naturalization" is a "bizarre" solution to the idea that an exotic is by definition "bad".

What would the sport fisherman fish for in California if you removed all the exotics? The list is pretty short and in many cases, not very appealing. Whether you are religious, "God gave man dominion over the beasts," or scientific, "natural selection," either can argue for niche filling by appropriate beneficial species.

jbird
10-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Jerry
2 weeks from this weekend is when I'll be there. I'll write down your number..(double check the cell number you wrote, the area code only has two digits) email me if you prefer bjwspencer@charter.net

J

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Here's a Friday report from the Forebay.. Lot's of wind early in the morning and through most of the day. It did lay down (15mph) for an hour then kicked back up. I called around 3:30am and the "wind lady" was singing away. 18 to 34mph.
So at 4:30am, I put the pram in the back of the truck and headed on over.
Around 6am, it was 8 to 18mph. Ahhhh yeah, it's dying down. Yeah right.

There was a group already camped out from the night before. Heard stories of how hard it blew during the night. Well, when the wind layed down, during that small window of opportunity, I motored out in the pram up wind, so I could cast into the weed beds on the downward drift. Hooked up on a couple LMB but while bringing in one fish, I must of drifted over my line. Because when I started my trolling motor to straighten out the pram. The fly line got wrapped and I mean wrapped.
Like I posted earlier, the prop came off the shaft and the line was wrapped around the shaft. It looked like a tequilla sunrise, orange and yellow line. Pulled up the motor and rowwed to shore... Damn, this sounds just like last week.

Waited around till 4pm to see if the wind would lay down. No way Jose.
I headed on home with a stop at Eastman Lake. It's got a great bass bite going right now but the wind was blowing. I wonder what made me think it wouldn't be blowing. Got home at dark and just as soon as I backed the truck into the driveway, it started raining.

Well, starting tomorrow, you should see some reports on the NCFFB. It was dead calm this morning, according to the "wind lady"

That's it from this end

jay

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Oppe, I will post a picture of what Lee S caught, just as soon as I downsize it

Jay

JerryInLodi
10-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Jay,maybe you should buy shares in SA. It sounds like their sales will be good in the next few weeks.

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm going to buy some Minn Kota shares, also. Bought 3 props today for backup.

Here's Lee S's catch of the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/Spider.jpg

Jay

Hanley stayed 2 blocks away from this fearless creature.

JerryInLodi
10-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Now we know what those forebay stripers eat!

jbird
10-15-2006, 10:24 AM
uhhh...Jay?....that looks just like a tarantula!...where on Gods green delta did you guys find a tarantula. And how it ended up that close to the lense of your camera is worthy of the whole story :D

j

Darian
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Hmmmm,.... Since it's their mating season, he was probably on the way to the local establishment looking for some lovin'.... :) :) Kinda got sidetracked in the proicess. 8) 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 11:20 AM
That creature was caught by Lee S. on Thursday as they pulled in to the campsite. It was just walking, minding it's own business before Lee chased it down. These are not uncommon to find at the Forebay. I have caught alot of them and also some huge gopher snakes. Now tell me that you like sleeping on the ground.
Back to the story. When I pulled in Friday morning, went up to Lee's motorhome to visit and he showed me this object in a vented tupperware.
Later in the morning, he let it out of the container and let it walk around on his arm and hands. One thing you have to remember, they won't bite unless cornered or in danger. When you hold it, you don't want to grab it or make try to pick it up by it's body. Just let it walk naturally.
I took the photo with my Nikon 105mm micro lens. I tried shooting at 1:1 but could get it focused. This photo was shot at a distance of 18" at a 1:1 ratio. The lens also has VR & IF (vibration reduction & internal focus)

Later today, I will be posting a couple of my top water bugs that I have been tying up.

Jay

k.hanley
10-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Having fun with that new lense eh buddy! When I went for coffee in Lee's camper at least he had that thing in a box. :shock:
Cheeeers, Ken

Adam Grace
10-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Jay, you might want to try to get more of what you shoot in focus. Your depth of feild is too narrow. Can you step down the aperature to enlarge the depth of field?.... that is unless you wanted to have a very narrow depth of feild.

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
The depth of field was almost at the max. I was 5" away from the creature and holding my breath. I focused in the middle, locked focus but shot before I locked and took the breath. Had I used a tripod, and shot further back everything would of been focused.

I used to do photography as a profession. I shot many weddings and even had some photo's published in National Geo. Macro is sortof new to me but not that new. Just do like carrying a tripod around.

I just shot a couple of my flies that I will be posting on the board here shortly.

Jay

jbird
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
This photo was shot at a distance of 18"

I was 5" away from the creature and holding my breath.

??? :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Here's the 18" shot. We were trying to focus on the eyes but the thing kept moving. That's when I tried getting closer but the depth of field is so touchy at that range it's tough to hand hold and shoot

Jay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/Spider2.jpg

JerryInLodi
10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Jay, what materials did you use to tie this pattern?

Jay Murakoshi
10-15-2006, 11:16 PM
An olive for the body and charcoal colored pipe cleaners :D

Remember, these things aren't dangerous as long as you don't mess with them. Have you ever seen a tarantula jump. They have a pretty good vertical jump

Hitting Eastman lake tomorrow to tryout some other new patterns

Jay

jbird
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Thats incredible Jay. If my wife knew those things were creeping around down there, she would cancel any and all plans to cross the border, :lol: I am a wildlife enthusiast and have enountered and handled many of americas critters ( I lived in florida for a few years) big, hairy spiders are among my least favorite specimens...I will admit, that one looks really cool, especially with that red shirtsleeve its on...nice contrast and colors.

Thanks for sharing.

jay

Jay Murakoshi
10-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Jay,

This isn't across the border, it's right down the road from you. This happens to be the O'Neill Forebay. I've also seen them around the Yuba river during the hot days. But O'Neill and San Luis has a good population.
My son has a Boa that's getting bigger. He feeds it large mice or small rats. That thing is so quick when it strkes. And to watch it swallow those things whole

What a world

Jay

Hairstacker
10-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Jay, you're not helping -- Jay was talking about the Oregon border! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adam Grace
10-16-2006, 03:40 AM
I was wondering about the shot because you have taken some nice macro shots of flies before. The maylfy shot was very shallow as well. I don't have any acro expeireence with an SLR, only a point&shoot style camera. I would imagine that an SLR requires more work.

It's much easier to take a picturew of a sationary fly then a moving spider. I would love to won a digital SLR and a macro lens, macro shots are cool. Keep up the picture taking Jay.

jbird
10-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Jay

Mikes right. I was talking about the cal/ore border. :) It wouldnt suprise me a bit to see something like that in Mex. I have had several boas and pythons (much fewer in the last 16 1/2 years......since I've been married) Snakes have always totally intrigued me and I still love 'em.

Jay

lee s.
10-17-2006, 06:24 PM
A few were there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06049.jpg
Some waited and some fished.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06043.jpg
Jay with his wooden motor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06025.jpg
Ken getting "the shot"!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06017.jpg
Some of the crew getting pointers......like don't get the sting in the propeller thingie! :roll:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06016.jpg
This IS all we managed to catch. :wink:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Striperbash06003.jpg
We sure do miss our girl!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG1092.jpg
Lots of grand BS'ing. A BIG thanks for Ken and Jay being there ALONG with all the others.
....lee s.

Jay Murakoshi
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Jay,

I only know one border and that's the southern border, sorry. Hell, I've only been across the northern border twice. Once when I was looking at property in Bend and the other time was last year when I went to British Columbia. Opps there was another time and that's when I did my basic training at Ft Lewis but I'd rather forget that 4 months of hell.

Jay

sculpin
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Eeeyyyuuuukkk. Nice photo's JM but damn , what an an awful subject. I would have to be knocked out to let one of those things crawl on me. I enjoy all critters and snakes and even had a very large pet rattle snake once but I draw the line on bugs. When I was a kid we lived in the hills out of El Toro in So Cal and we had those things. I didn't know they were as far north as the ForeBay. I'm with Jbird and glad they aren't north of the Cal border.

Mark

Jay Murakoshi
10-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I think it's mating season. Yesterday at Eastman lake, I saw at least 20 tarantula's crossing parking lots, streets and patios. I saw this huge one crossing a road, so I grabbed the digital, stopped the truck and ran back to try and get a couple shots of this thing. I was laying right in the middle of the road, getting ready to focus when this car crept up on me. Scared the crap out of me. The driver thought I was hurt. They got out and noticed I was trying to get a photo. As he was walking back to the car, I heard him mumble something. The spider was moving to fast to get a clear shot.

What we do for a photo

Jay

jbird
10-18-2006, 01:58 AM
:lol: :lol: too funny!! :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
10-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Jay, given your recent trolling motor experiences, I don't think you should be lying down in the middle of any roadways. :lol: