PDA

View Full Version : Lake Paulina, OR (25 miles south of Bend)

hazmat2496
10-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Anyone fished here before? Going up in late June next year, renting a boat. Reccomendations on size of pole, line, lures? I have heard brown rooster tails work well trolling? Any thoughts? Seem like th etrout are big up there, what size in terms of oz.'s work well?

Thanks!

Tracy Chimenti
10-14-2006, 08:26 PM
There's good fishing here for brookies, nice sized rainbows, and always a good chance of a record-sized brown if you're in the right palce with the right fly and the right time! Jim Teeney and his family used to guide here often. In both lakes in the Newberry Crator you will find extensive weed beds near the shallows. I believe at one time there were Atlantics in one of the lakes. Slow sinkers and floating lines with weighted nymphs are the tickets here.

Beautiful lakes with good fish.

Tracy

hazmat2496
10-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Great-thanks for the info. hoping for the browns...Ever had any luck there with brown rooster tails?

Jason

jbird
10-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Jason

I have fished both paulina and east lake many times. East lake is superior for fly fishing. Jim Teeny fine tuned his world famous line of teeny nymphs in east lake. The best time to fish it is at ice off...or shortly after opening weekend in early may. And then again, right around now. If you are wanting the big browns, concentrate on ledges close to shore using black or olive wooly buggers. Baitfish patterns will get them too. zonkers in gold/olive and clousers in white/olive are good choices. if the evening is calm there can be some great surface activity. a #12 adams or light cahill place near a rising fish can be productive.
There are, as tracy mentioned, atlantic salmon in east lake. they will take the same flies and can be a kick if you mark a school of them.

J