PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella hook

Dustin Revel
10-13-2006, 12:02 AM
http://flytyingchronicles.com/catalog/Umbrella-Hooks-p-149.html
an interesting design just thought I would share it. I have never seen anything similar to this.
Dusty

SullyTM
10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I have used this hook for extended body dries and it has proven to be a good hook. It is limiting in the patterns you can tie IMO, however, I like how it sits on the H2O...It comes in a variety of sizes...

Later...

Darian
10-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Catchy name for a bent shank hook.... :) :) Watching developments in tying over the years, there's been some very creative/innovative beding of shanks offered to tyers. However,.... (IMHO) with the possible exception of the bendback shank, not many of them have been overly succesfull in the market place. :? :? Even bent (S) shank, popper hooks have been shown to be inferior to thread wrapped, straight shank hooks for use in retaining the cork or foam head.

These type of hooks have little use in my own tying efforts as I don't trust them to be have much strength in those 90 degree bends. :? :? Altho the look and the way it allows the fly to ride in the water does pique my interest.... 8) 8)

jbird
10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Dan Blanton is a big fan of those jig type hooks. They have a 90 degree bend and he pulls on some bigguns with those hooks.

Jay

Darian
10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Yep,.... I forgot to mention the jig hook with the bendback. :( :( Actually, the degree of bend on those hooks is 60 (as opposed to 90 degrees). 8) 8)

I do use the EC 413 or a Gammie jig hook on Clousers/Whistlers, etc., for Stripers and saltwater fish in the delta and SoCal rocks/bay fishing.... 8) 8)

Good hooks.... :) :) :)