PDA

View Full Version : Oh the sal-mon-ity!!!

OregonSalmon
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
My incarceration is the estuary of the Necanicum River (north Oregon coast) and the judge's gavel came down with the decree I not be allowed to fish from a boat. "Not even a pram judge", I pleaded. "NOOO!...and no fly fishing either", he demanded in a terse tone. Thus, since the fish can be seen from my window I cannot just let that go, I have been tack-el-ee diminished to friggin' spoons. For one month I have been chucking the metal and now desire a vacation in hell!!! There is no doubt in my mind that spoons were marketed by the prince of darkness and hell is making record profits this year. Yet, with the dark humor of my turmoil I did come up with another bad joke: "How do you make salmon laugh....THROW A SPOON AT THEM!!!

Yet I did find a use for the lures; snagging a poorly tied crab ring. I tossed in the towel on the salmon and went to crabbing but a poorly tied knot in nylon left the ring alone on the bottom. With the help of a Texan who possessed the ugliest damn spoon ever, we were able to retrieve the crab ring, and unfortunatly my spoon which I had broken off in an earlier attempt. I thanked the Texan and promised not to make any Texas slurs for 24 hours except for the Texas A&M Aggies which he encouraged.

Time to get back to the tidewater: the garden of life and certain to be the end of mine or a crab. Too close to call.

"Though Shalt Use Shad"....Crabbers 10:51

bigtj
10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I think that spoon gets around. About 5 years back I lost an expensive pressure trandsucer in the bottom of a well. Seems my 30-lb dacron backing is no match for a serrated metal shard on a well casing. Anyway my thoughts on how to retrive the ~$1,000 piece of gear went immediately to the spinning rod and spoon I had seen in the at the site office (the site was in AK so fishing rods are like doorstops there). 15 minutes later with "pole" in hand I was able to retrieve the transducer from the well with that ugly looking oversized spoon. So, although salmon may laugh at those spoons, neither of us will anytime soon.

Best,

-John