PDA

View Full Version : Rod Recommendation?

SuperFlyGuy
10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I've been fly fishing now for 3 years and I think I am ready to cast a quality rod. I've been lurking this board for about the same amount of time. I've had a no name, flimsy rod as my starter and I am looking to buy another rod that will help me do what I need it to do.

Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Heres what I need:

-300 dollar budget
-High Action enough to acurately cast shot, nymph and indicator here on the American. (current rod is too flimsy!!!)
-Light enough to fish in the Sierras on small streams
-Ability to throw heavier bass bugs
-Good warranty (lifetime)

I know there are so many products out there right now, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

-SFG

bigtj
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Casting bass bugs and fishing small sierra streams require substantially different presentations and is too much of a strech for most rods. For winter steelhead on the American and tossing bass bugs you probably want a 7 or maybe even an 8. For small streams, a 4 or 5. A 6 would be a comprimise that would be great for indicator fishing for trout and small (4-6 lb) steelhead but would be a little heavy for small sierra streams and too light for bigger steelhead or throwing bass bugs. For your price range you could consider getting two outfits like TFO professionals, maybe a 5-wt and a 7 or 8-wt. The two rods together would be less than $300 and you could get decent disc drag reels for each for under $100.

Another possiblity is to look for used gear. You might find a couple rods that fill the bill if someone is going to dump them.

Good luck!

jbird
10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
I really like Johns advice here. You do not want a crisp (fast action) rod for indicator fishing with shot and big bugs. You may, once you really reach a point of angling expertece. I think the tfo pro would be a great rod for indi fishing, and a good all around choice for what your wanting to do. A fast action rod in the hands of a novice...or even intermediate caster can be frustrating. and a light rod (3-5wt) is best with a soft tip to protect light tippets and throw accurate short casts. again, the tfo pro fits the bill.
I think the professional series offers a 10' rod. a 10' 7wt is a steelhead machine.

Jay

alaskanfish
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I agree with Bigtj... TFO makes a quality rod at a very low price. I have several of the Series 1 and Professional rods and am very satisfied with them. They have a $25 replacement warrantee for life! Check your local shop, Kiene's, or online.... TFO is readily available.

Also, look at the Okuma Sierra reel. Another imported product, but has great workmanship and a great, strong, reversible drag for a low price.

This is a great place to start, save your pennies and as your love for the sport increases, look at upgrading in the future...

Good luck,

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I think you might eventually need two outfits.

#4 or soft #5 line rod for the Sierra trout.

#7 or 8 weight for the bigger flies.

Scott A2
Redington CPS
TFO Finesse & TiCrX
Sage Fli

All are under $300 and wonderful rods for the money.

bkobrin
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Another rod you may want to check out if you're on a budget is the Echo. I've got the 4 piece 5 wt as my every day rod and I absolutely LOVE it!

andanb
10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I have a sage Fli 8 wt. I love this rod for stripers, pyrmid when the wind blows, steelhead on the swing, even shad. I have a 6 wt. redington CPS nice fast action rod for throwing weighted lines a big gugs. Its easy to lift shot out of the water to lob. This is going to be my go to rod this year at pyrmid when its calm. Both of these rods are great rods for the money.

jbird
10-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Scott A2

Bill

This is the rod I use for steelhead. I have the 10' 7wt. It outa be illegal. :D

J

Adam Grace
10-10-2006, 03:11 AM
I agree with jbird, the Scott A2 is a very nice series of rods at that price point. I alos agree that you are asking for too much for ONE rod. A 3-5wt is great for small trout, 3 & 4wt's being much better. For big bass flies you will need to look at a 6-8wt rod. Please clarify what you mean by heavier bass bugs. A 5wt will cast a up to a #6 bass bug with extra effort and a good bass style line.

Terry Thomas
10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
The Scott A2 is a fine rod. Make sure you also cast the Redington CPS. Both are excellent rods and should meet your budget and fishing needs.

SteelieD
10-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Another thumbs up for the A2 here. It's my main trout rod in a four wt.

You should definately consider the suggestions here regarding more than one rod. I have several but my "go to's" are generally the 4 wt and the 6 wt. That covers "most" situations for me.

Go to Bill's and cast several... action is a personal thing. Don't depend on the marketing hype, buy the rod that best suits YOU.

Good luck!

BigBuddha
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
First, accept the fact that in the next 25 years you will acquire a BUNCH of rods :D . Probably like the rest of us on this board. This will allow you to get a rod that fits your immediate need. Steelies, and Salmon are coming up soon and stream fishing for trout will be closing pretty soon. If you get a TFO Pro in a 7 or 8 wt. it should serve you well. They are inexpensive and cast very well. It will also handle the shad in the spring with those shooting heads. Then by the time trout season rolls around you can save enough to get a 4 or 5 wt. TFO for that. I have many Scotts, and Sages, but I fished my son's TFO a bit last year and really like how they cast. I think it was mentioned earlier, but actually the price of the TFO Professional is so reasonable that you can get both a 5 wt. and a 7 wt. for under what you were planning on spending. Then you will be set for a ton of fun! Good luck!