PDA

View Full Version : New Sage Z-Axis rods......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I think I will be selling lots of my old rods soon on our classifieds.

I have been casting these new Z-Axis rods and I think that what comes to mind is that they feel ”alive”.

I am not sure that everyone with appreciate their performance but I am planning on getting at least 6 of them this year.

For my trout fishing I am going to get a 9’ in # 4, 5 and 6 weight.

For my light Steelhead I am getting a 10’ # 6.

I am getting the 12’6” # 6 Spey model.

Then I want a 9’ in # 8, 9 and 10 for my flats fishing.

Oops…that’s 8 rods.

Rick J
10-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Bill,
If you ever venture back to Silver Creek again with Don and I you will also need the 2 wt! So you are now up to 9 rods!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2006, 02:40 AM
I just love fly casting for anything with a floating line.

I need to get a new light #6 line Spey rod and learn how to cast it too. I watch those Spey videos/DVDs and it really kills me.

Sage makes a new 9' #3 line 4 piece Z-Axis. That might work for Silver Creek?

Tony Buzolich
11-03-2006, 11:49 PM
A couple of days ago, Darin Elmore (Sage-Redington Rep) stopped by our shop and let me try out the new Z-Axis as well as the new Redington Super Sport and Red Fly2. Geez, what a great bunch of rods.

Sage has always been right on top of the cutting edge as for performance and they still are, but the real surprise was with the Redington line.

I expected the Super Sport to be right up there with the best at $449.00 but the RedFly2 was the real treat. Starting at $130.00 it cast wonderfully smooth and had none of the cheaper features often found in lower priced rods.

Some of the technologies that are available today are being passed down directly to the consumer at incredible cost savings through offshore production.
TONY

Hairstacker
11-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Hey Tony! Just curious -- which wt. Redfly2 rod did you cast?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Tony,

Your right about Redington now that they have been purchased by Sage.

Sage has had an influence on those new rod designs and they are all very nice.

The CPS @ $299 now was a big hit this year with many comparing the action to the Sage XP.

The new Super Sport @ $449 is a great value too.

The new Red.Fly2 rods look and feel pretty good.

Tony Buzolich
11-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Mike,

All of the rods I cast were #8 and #9w. Great for salmon and stripers. I really like throwing heads and all of these would easily handle a 300gr -400gr. line.

One other rod I was able to try that stands out above all of these is the new Hardy Zane. This is a real cannon of a rods and throws like a Winston XTR. But at around $595.00 I may have to start working three jobs #-o
TONY

Hairstacker
11-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Thanks Tony, really appreciate your comments! :)

Bill, you must feel like you own a candy store! :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2006, 03:24 AM
It's worse than drugs...........

Hairstacker
11-04-2006, 03:37 AM
That is too funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Judging by your recent endeavors to acquire for yourself every new Z-Axis model yet conceived by Sage, I hope for your sake they don't introduce another model soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: By the way, I noticed you forgot to include the 7 wt. in your list. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Oh yes HS, I will need a 790-4 Z for black bass?

Thanks for reminding me.

OK....I'm headed for the Delta to fish with old Danny boy.

Might break the 10 pound barrier today.

The Striperfest should be really fun with lots of fine folks and good food too.

Adam Grace
11-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Good luck Bill!