PDA

View Full Version : Middle Rogue Steelhead

Langenbeck
10-07-2006, 10:35 PM
After a dry spell hit it right behind the house tonight. First caught & released this 26" wild steelhead on my trusty Size 8 bead head nymph.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/26Steelhead7Oct06.jpg

Then caught & released a 27" wild steelhead. This one took my top fly-a weighted glo bug.

Rogue flowing at about 1,100 cfs, 57 degrees and blue bird weather. Warm days and cool nights with no rain in the forecast.

PaulC
10-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Beautiful fish as always Gordon! You're one lucky guy with that fishery in your backyard.
How do you like casting with that grip.
Some of my friends that build their own rods tend to contour the cork to their hands but that grip looks really interesting.
Is it homemade or does a rod vendor build with those?
-Paul

Flyjunkie
10-08-2006, 10:55 AM
GORDON,

You are One fortunate Flyfisher to have such a Fabled Steelhead water within a Stone's throw of your Home... :wink:

That is a Beautiful Steelhead!!!!

as with Paul, I am curious about that Handle.. I recall a Big Buzz about afew years ago.. But the thing seems to have died off... Whats your views on how it works with your casting... How has it improved your Fishing.. I'm interested in what you have to say about the Grip.... :wink:

Again, that is a Sweet Steelhead...

Gotta head north for the Annual "Birthday standing waist deep in a Steelhead River" thing in January.... :D :wink:

DEAN ~~~~ 8) 8)

Langenbeck
10-08-2006, 11:04 AM
This is a New Zealand rod made by Kilwell. They experimented with this grip called a Maniform grip that originated in England. For rod builders they are availble through some of the big mail order rod building supply houses.

I like the grip very much because it forces you to keep your thumb on the top of the rod. A very comfortable feeling.

Hairstacker
10-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Gordon, that is one heckuva fish!! Good to see you're getting your season properly underway. Really looking forward to seeing all the fish we know you're going to catch. 8)