PDA

View Full Version : Collared Clouser

Jay Murakoshi
10-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I have added a red bead to all my clousers. Unlike the thread wraps on most clousers, I decided to experiment and see if this will make the fish strike more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/clouser1-1.jpg

The other photo is a mayfly (I think) What type? The hatch was coming off in my backyard this morning

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/Mayfly-1.jpg

Jay

J.R.
10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Nice Clouser, I wish I could tie 'em like that. I'm relatively new to tying the Clouser pattern and I get 1 right about every 3 attempts, lack of consistancy I guess. :oops: :(

And I'd guess that the mayfly is a callibaetis spinner.

Darian
10-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey Jay,.... That fly looks very good. Got all of the right colors. Oughta do well in the Delta.... 8) 8) 8)

jbird
10-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Jay

I really like that fly! Simplicity always scores well with me! :D

Jay

Flyjunkie
10-07-2006, 10:24 PM
JAY,

You tye the Sweetest Clousers.. You always do them just right.. I like the Bright red throat/Bead addition.. You Know they'll get bite....

Gotta agree with J.R. ~ that's a Callibaetis Spinner... Damn fine Close up, very detailed... :wink:

DEAN ~~~ 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
10-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Dean,

I had this hatch going on in the backyard. I guess you can't really call it a hatch, they were just flying around. We have a bunch of lakes close to the house and the SJ river just a short distance.
The bug landed on a towel hanging on the fence and I took the photo with my new Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR lens. I was around 10' away and used the Macro function, hand held. Could of been better if on a tripod.

I'm curious, no one has asked how to "apply" the bead over the material.

:D , :D

Jay

lee s.
10-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Well Jay,
We were (are) curoius as to that, but we figured our red string has the same appearance, though NOT the weight. Figured we'd wait till if'n you got LOTS more fish on it and by then somebody else might have already querried you. If'n ya DON'T get lots more fish, we're REAL lazy and gonna stick to our red string. :wink:
.....lee s.

David Lee
10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I think it does make a difference .

I've been dubbing (over the thread wraps , directly behind the lead eyes) a small amount of red flashabou dubbing , sometimes w/ a little pearl flashabou dubbing mixed in , for the past 6 years or so ..... Only on the 'baitfish' colored Clousers I tye .

It holds up fine IF you coat the wraps w/ some flexament just before pinch-dubbing the flash onto the wraps . I don't use this 'gill-collar' on Chartruse or Black Clousers , however .....

I'd like to think them fishes like it as much as I do ..... but I wonder sometimes .... :P

David :D

Brad Blancett
10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Jay ,

I have done the red and blaze orange collar thread and red shrink wrap tube in the past and still have a few. I can say it did attract more strikes.

Brad

Darian
10-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Bead???? What Bead????..... OK,.... I give. :? :? Where's the bead and how did you get the materials on there :?: :?:

Flyjunkie
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm curious, no one has asked how to "apply" the bead over the material.

:D , :D

Jay

I was sorta doing that Thing LEE S. mentioned... but now I'm too damn Curious as to how you apply the Bead... :wink:

I've studied the picture and I'd hazard one of my "Edjamacated" guesses that you did the Bead with Red E-Z Shape Sparkle Body.... You Carefully ran a thin Bead of it around the back area, prior to tying in the Wing Assemble... :?

Now that I've proven I'm not that Edjamacated.. How did you Do it, Grandmaster Jay???

DEAN ~~~ 8)

Hairstacker
10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
My guess is that he first slide the bucktail through the bead from the butt end of the hair and then slide the resulting assembly onto the hook. He then tied the hair to the hook in front of the eyes and, at some point, applied glue to the hair for the final resting place of the bead. That's how I would try to do it anyway. :D

Charlie Gonzales
10-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Jay I would like to think great minds think alike but I would never reduce you to my level. I just tied some clousers for Mr. Kiene for the Striperfest and half of them I had added a red thread collar coated with epoxy.

590Mike
10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Jay great clousers !! Charles is right you great minds do think alike as Dan Blanton ties his jig hook clousres with a red collar.

I took some to Alaska in July and the hammered the king salmon.