PDA

View Full Version : Suspended streamers.....

k.hanley
10-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Considering the trend of recent posts I thought you folks might enjoy this. When looking at suspended baitfish situations, the two most successful streamer patterns for me are Bob Popovics Bucktail Deciever (tied entirely out of bucktail), and Chico Fernandez Seaducer. They are excellent for chasing stripers. Both are easy straight forward designs.
Cheers, Ken

Lee Haskin
10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Ken,

Just to clarify.

Yes, the two flies you mentioned are two of the best every designed...

....however, I would call those 2 patterns "slow sinking" patterns, not suspending patterns. They are not neutrally bouyant.

To suspend, the fly must be comletely stopped when not stripped; and not float to the surface or sink even slowly.

(After the time and effort it took for me to create the Neutralizer, I guess I'm a little sensitive to the subject. Grin!)

$.02

Cheers,
Lee

k.hanley
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
No need to be sensitive Lee. Your design would certainly fit in my intention of suspended streamers. "Suspended" to me is any pattern that doesn't drop much beyond the limit of the line being used. The pattern stays in very close proximity of where the line is working. They aren't topwater, they aren't bottom bouncers, they are somewhere in between "suspended in the water column."
Cheers, Kenny

Lee Haskin
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Sounds good Kenny.

Thanks for clarifying that.
:wink:
Cheers,
Lee

Jay Murakoshi
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
"Suspended" to me was getting kicked out of school. To me that was more like sinking :D

Jay

k.hanley
10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Murakoshi that answers a lot of questions!!!!!!! :lol:
Cheers amigo.

Darian
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Been there, done that.... :o :o (While in High school I ditched some classes to go Bonito fishing in King Harbor.... The punishment was to suspemd me for 3 days.... Oh well, back to King Harbor :lol: :lol: )

Anyway,.... I've used floater/divers and sinking patterns for the most part. Haven't tried many suspending flies, yet, but am ready to try 'em over the weedbeds or flats in the delta this year. I've tied up some slow sinkers and a few Neutralizers for some fun. :D :D

Darian
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Got to thinking about at and have to backtrack on my comments. I have used supending patterns before. Jay's White Knight and The Hollow Fly.... 8) 8) Both for saltwater species.... Altho, I haven't tried the Sea Habits for Stripers, I don't see why a White Knight wouldn't make a great Shad immitation. 8) 8) Plus, the Sea Habit, Rainbow Trout version matches what Stripers like in the American. 8) 8) Sea Habits can be tied with or without weight and rattles, too. 8) 8)

Both flies are slow sinkers (susenders) and are pulled down rapidly by sinkiing lines or slowly by intermediate lines. :D :D