PDA

View Full Version : Hows the Yuba?

BillyB
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Are there salmon in the system? Is the egg bite on?

Gregg
10-04-2006, 03:00 AM
I hit the Yuba yesterday in the evening for a few hours with nada... Fished from the bridge downstream a hundred yards or so with a glo bug w/ pt dropper and had no bites. Switched it up to a black rubberleg stone with a poopah dropper and swung the same stretch of water again with no luck. There is some really promising water, but I saw zero insect activity even at dark. The shape of the river now is pretty good with great flows for wading, but the lack of insect activity is kind of a bummer.

Adam Grace
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Did you see any SALMON buddy? :lol:

mark
10-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Agreed, the Yuba did take quite a hit by last winters flows and there is substantially less insect life than before. I think I may have seen a grand total of 2 fish rise on the Yuba this year.

Fortunately, not all is lost..... the Yuba does get a pretty decent run of salmon in it starting now, those salmon, when they die will bring a ton of nutrients back into the river and help the bugs get back on their feet, so to speak. So that rotting salmon smell is actually the sweet smell of the rivers future.

In the meantime, ts just going to be slow fishing for the next few years until it picks back up.

-MK

Jeff T.
10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
When does the Yuba above Hwy 20 bridge open? I saw lots of risers at dusk yesterday just above the bridge, and quite a few salmon moving through the riffle at the piers. VERY clear water.

Jeff T.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I think it opens Dec 1st above the bridge?