PDA

View Full Version : Keeping in touch...So. Cal. style

Wednesday Caster
10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, I haven't posted on here for a while. Y'all miss my questions? Anyway by this time next year, I'll be in Gardnerville, NV, so you can count on constant BB harrassment from me then. This should probably go in the "Saltwater" page but thought I'd keep in touch w/a recent report...
SATURDAY decided to go to Redondo Beach to shoot out some clousers off a rock jetty for some halibut. Got there late (7:45) and watched a plastic chucker bag a 28"er (legal). With high hopes, I matched the color of his lure and shot the next 1.5 hours for nada. Surf was a little high at 2-3ft so I'm not sure if I got down far enough to get any halis attention. Surfers showed up and thought it best if I didn't snag fiberfins.
SUNDAY: I was on the water at 05:30 and casted out to a dark horizon of Long Beach, CA. Very early blue morning light and warm So. Cal water was nice to wet wade in gentle waves protected by a rockpile breakwater wall located 2 miles out. First 1/2 hour still dark: casted to sounds of jumping halis (yes they do jump for bait-like sharks after seals in So Africa :shock: ). My first fish on to my surprise was a small needlefish-like species (I'm sure it was not a cuda as I caught them before). Tried to release him but he turned around to bite me and got the tippet instead and wouldn't let go. How ironic that I'm always losing fish and this one doesn't let go and the hook isn't even anywhere near his mouth. After shaking the needle off, there was plenty of light for me to see a bait boil and a jumping hali. I gathered my senses as this was the first one close enough to my max-casting ability (let's not go there). I managed to cast just beyond the boil and stripped the weighted line through the boil...nada. With the basket looking like an unkept nest, nervousnes and excitement, I casted out again but this time off target of the boil by aleast 2 yards. But it wasn't off target at all, the boil had moved quickly in my target zone and I stripped again. Through the baitball, the line stopped and my 6wt bent. I closed my rod hand to set the hook and a short fight (remember short cast :D )resulted in an 18". I release it and another half hour goes by before I'm on to another close range prize this one about the same size with nearly the same story. At 8am, I packed up to go home early- wife and kids were soon to wake- browny points for future early morning outings. I am told that the season will peak when the water cools next month and the prize reach 30-40". I guess it's time to get practing again in the front lawn with the 8 weight with hopes that it can handle pulling in a "barn door". Hope all of you are well.

10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Wednesday,

Sounds like you had some excitement this weekend fishing the salt :) ! Good for you and it is also nice to keep the family happy with an early return home. Congratulations on your planned move from the LA area to Gardnerville, NV. Now that should be somewhat of a culture shock but one I would enjoy anyway.

Thanks for your compliment on the Northern California Fly Fishing Blues. Nice to meet a fellow bluegrass fan.

Best Wishes!

Bill

PaulC
10-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey Wednesday,
Thats the beauty of an early morning surf session. I've usually had a hellavu morning and my wife hasn't even got out of bed yet. A couple hours at the magic hour watching the birds waking up and the fish moving around is definitely awesome.
I've been out there a couple times watching dophins catch a wave with the sun still pink from the sunrise.
Puts a whole new perspective on things for sure.
Crashing buts on the surface water is way cool. Now to get one of those bad boys on a popper would be truely awesome.
-Paul

Wednesday Caster
10-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Paul,
A popper? Seriously? I'm new to this hali chasing game and
have not met any FF that do this while on the water yet.
What pattern then?

Bill,
"Ya can take the boy out 'f the mount'ns but,
ya just can't take the mount'ns out 'f the boy."
I grew up in Latrobe, PA (pop 13,000) so I'm use to "small town."
My wife grew up in the VALLEY but has family in Gville, so she's
sort got the picture.

PaulC
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey Wednesday,
If they're busting bait on the surface, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Don't see it frequently enough to carry a popper/banger to give it a shot.
Guys get croaker on bangers once in a blue moon...
I've mostly gotten bit fishing clousers/baitfish patterns in midcolumn, but the last two decent sized guys I got were on shrimp and crab patterns while fishing for other species.
Looking at the variety of flies guys down here have caught good sized halibut on lately, I think getting it near the fish is probably more of the battle than what you're throwing.
The last one I got on a Merkin was caught right next to a guy fishing bait from a boat.
I also seem to have better luck at lower light as they seem to hug the shore more in those conditions.

The only case I've seen them visibly be picky is fishing at a friend's spot in the Bay Area. They come up and seem to sniff the fly. There you are actually sight casting to them. I believe he did get one to eat a crease fly this summer.
-Paul

Darian
10-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Hi Paul,.... Flatties are really fun on a fly. Caught many flounders that way while Steelhead fishing in estuaries on shrimp patterns. Don't have any direct experience catching Halibut on a fly but I'll bet that a surface slider in baitfish colors would get them on a regular basis.... 8) 8)