PDA

View Full Version : O'Neill Forebay report

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Bob Nakagawa of Sierra Angler Fly Shop in Modesto says that O'Neill Forebay has been very good early in the day lately. Bob says it is only an hour down there for him and the fish are on top too.

http://www.sierraanglersflyshop.com/

Jay Murakoshi
10-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Bill,

I've been fishing the Foreday at least 2 sometimes 3 times a week. Last Tuesday, I had a pretty good day. First cast with a top water bug produced a 5lb striper from the weeds. I thought I had me a KD Special (10lb bass), no such luck. Fished the weeds with top water most of the morning, hooking and releasing stripers in the 2 to 4lb range and a number of LMB around 2 to 3lbs. The wind never came up during the day and it even got warm. Fished until 6pm and then gave up after I wrapped my leader in the trolling motor prop and smacked my fingers when I accidentally hit the switch while trying to clear the leader.
I saw a float tuber out by the island which later I found out it was Lee H.
There was also another boat (Boston Whaler) with two fly fishers. Never did find out who they were.

I'm going back over this week if the weather cooperates. Fishing during the week does have it's advantages.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Jay,

How far is it from your house?

Bob at Sierra Angler says he is fishing real early before it gets windy.

Jay Murakoshi
10-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Bill,

I'm one hour 5 minutes from the Forebay. I've only hit wind one time.
Called early in the morning and the wind lady said it was 3 to 10mph. The fishable to me. So I packed up the pram and equipment and headed off for an afternoon and evening of fishing. Got to the Forebay and the wind was howling. Called the wind lady from the Forebay and the recording said it was 12 to 21mph. Pretty dang close. I waited around until 2pm and the Forebay looked like victory at sea. Called the wind lady back and the wind was 18 to 28 mph.
Packed it in and came home.

A good prediction of the wind is the coast line. If the valley is hot and the weather in the bay area is mild, that usually creates the fog and with the cooler weather on the coast, it will generate windy conditions from the coast to the valley. I always call friends in Montery and Salinas to find out if the fog is in.

But I have been there when the wind is non-existent. This time of year when the temperature in the valley cools down and the coast temperature is just about equal, very little wind on the lake and Forebay. In the coming months, we will usually get an early morning breeze from the East and if the valley is cold or there is snow in the sierra's it can get pretty dang cold

I'll post reports as I go over. Looking toward Tuesday or Wednesday.
It's suppose to warm up to the 80's again on the weekend

Jay