PDA

View Full Version : Friday on the Delta

JerryInLodi
09-30-2006, 09:39 AM
This was supposed to be a striper report. At least that's what my brother-in-law, Joe, and I went out for. We poked around the shallows of the San Joaquin with not a single grab. Same place I had a report of four stripers being caught Wednesday, one of them a ten pounder,

Joe wanted to try his hand at some LMB so I shot inside of Potato Slough and set up along a weed line. Joe cast a black woolly bugger on a floating line over the top of the weeds and caught a few small bass.

The only rod I had was my nine weight with my T14 head. That made it impossible for me to cast over the weed so I tied on a big olive woolly bugger and cast on the outside of the weed, allowing the line and fly to sink to the bottom, about ten feet, and scooted it along through the thiner weeds and mud. I figured that I could cause some double trouble since this transition zone would be prowled by both stripers and LMB.

In fourtyfive minutes I landed seven LMB, two under a pound and five from two to three pounds, the largest about 3.5.

I'm heading out again this morning, this time I'll FOCUS on stripers and hope the lure of LMB doesn't grab me again.

One thing, these LMB are all healthy fish and there seems to be thousands of them. Most of the guys fishing this area are catch and release. These fish are going to live and grow. Can you imagine the fishing in the spring!

Sturmer White
09-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Jerry
I know the feeling on which fish to go after.
Yesterday while bassing hair bugs the little stripers started bustnig.
Now how can you not go after them. They were a hoot and a half.
We started at 8:45 and quit after dark.
Loved every minuite.