PDA

View Full Version : UV epoxy release techniques

PaulC
09-30-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm currently messing more with shaping, but curious if anyone has tried Bob P's techniques for spreadflies using UV cure epoxy instead of the traditional devcon.
Don't want to get my fingers stuck in the process...
Trying messing around with tedlar for forming, but it hides the result.
Anyone on the board been down this road?
-Paul

Darian
10-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey Paul,.... Sorry I can't be of much help on this subject. I'm a Devcon, 5 min. guy.... :? :? :?

I guess I oughta build or buy a fly rotator.... Then I'd probably start using some other "stuff". 8) 8)

PaulC
10-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Hey Darian,
With the Devcon, I guess alot of guys use a release agent like photo-flo for handling and mushing the epoxing midflo.
Not sure how that will work with UV cure stuff and don't really want to be the guinea pig with a 6/0 fly stuck to my hands.
Going to go with the sacrificial nitrile glove approach to the first one and see how things turn out. Worst case, I'll have a fly with some michael jackson glove action. Just add glitter, a monkey, and a midget and the pattern is done. Try casting that mess with a 16wt. lol.
-Paul

Darian
10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I've used Photo-flo for shaping, etc., while making Popovic's siliclones but not with epoxy, yet.... I found that epoxy (5 min.) dried too quickly to worry about shaping a bunch.... When making a spread fly, I don't apply the initial coat of epoxy until it's started to stiffen. Then I use Sally Hansen's Hard As Hull to finish.... I've noticed that none of the heads that I've finished in this fashion have yellowed with time as plain epoxy does.... 8) 8) 8)

Mike O
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Worst case, I'll have a fly with some michael jackson glove action. Just add glitter, a monkey, and a midget and the pattern is done. Try casting that mess with a 16wt. lol.
-Paul :mrgreen: :rotfl: :rotflmao: this was the funniest thing I have read in a week!! You forgot something tho' gotta include a drunken 8 yr. old.

Know why MJ started dating twenty eight year olds??? 'Cause there are 20 of them.

Mao

Hairstacker
10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Paul, that was too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: