PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Opens in October

smokeater
09-29-2006, 04:30 PM
I guess openning day is October 1st, I always here that mid winter is the time to go, but does anyone have any idea how things are in the fall?

Darian
09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Pyramid is a good Fall destination, depending on whether the weather has cooled enough at night to make water temps comfortable for the fish. These fish are a lot like Mackinaw. They stay at depth until favorable water temps and food are available. 8) 8) The only fishing during October is early and late (low light conditions), unless you're trolling....

The fishing gets better in November. 8) The larger fish are usually caught during the cold months (mid-December thru February). However, not the numbers are lower. I've long ago stopped fishing up there during the cold months as I don't relish freezing my A__ off :shock: :shock: any more. :( :( My own best fishing has occurred in the spring from Mid-March thru mid-May. 8)

If you're inclined to use floatation devices (tubes, etc.), be advised that winds can come up/shift so fast up there that I wouldn't recommend them. Altho I see people use them up there, every year someone gets blown away from their starting point and into trouble. The natives don't take kindly to having to risk their lives for person who doesn't exercise caution. 8) 8)

jayclarkflyfishing
10-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I have to disagree with Darian on one point...Pyramid is NOT an early and late bite this time of year.I catch fish all day long in October.Fish the areas that are close to deep water and you should find fish.The fish are keyed in on tui chubs and if you can locate the bait balls you will find fish.Watch the weather and do not tube if there is any wind predicted.Also seasonal permits now cost $74 and day permits are $9.Time to go fish my favorite lake!I'll report how I do.Jay