PDA

View Full Version : Modesto area

Dave4622
09-28-2006, 07:58 AM
I am looking for information on the fly fishing in the Modesto area. I perfer to use a float tube and look for bass or panfish. I am taking a friend and her son and would like it to be fun for both of them. It seems that this message board and the people here has more knowledge then most shops. Thanks for any help you can give me.

JerryInLodi
09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Dave, there's a pay for play lake south of you, Kelsey Bass Ranch, that can be an excellent fishery when the wind lays down. Now that we're in the fall, the wind should be less of a problem.

Better go quick! Daytime temperatures next week are predicted in the mid 70's with mornings in the 50's. The topwater bite will shut down soon!

Hairstacker
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Dave, welcome aboard! Have you tried Modesto Reservoir east of town yet? I try to make it out there at least once every spring for smallmouth bass and haven't been skunked yet. Nice grassy areas with picnic tables and very easy water entry. I would think fall would be a decent time too but haven't tried it yet personally.

You should also talk to Bob Nakagawa, owner of the Sierra Anglers fly shop in Modesto -- real nice guy and I'll bet he knows all the waters within striking distance of Modesto.

lee s.
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
How far is Modesto from the Forebay at San Louis?
....lee s.

Hairstacker
09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Lee, I'd say an hour and half driving from Modesto to the Forebay on freeways.

Dave4622
09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Thank you to all who responded. I will stop by the shop Friday when I get into town. Some very good suggestions and I will post any results. Thanks Dave

Dave4622
09-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Thank you to all who responded. I will stop by the shop Friday when I get into town. Some very good suggestions and I will post any results. Thanks Dave