PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Looking For Advice

jswain
09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Hello,
I am new to the board, and more importantly new to fly fishing. I have been browsing around the board and am impressed with the information, helpfullness, etc of the people on this board.

So I wanted to post to say hello, and also to ask for some advice. I am extremely new to fly fishing, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on locations I might be able to go fishing that would be good for a beginner. I live in Chico, CA, and the ideal situation would be somewhere close.

Thanks for the advice,
Joshua Swain

Katz
09-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Head up Hwy 70 out of Oroville. Stop at the rest stop in the canyon with a stimulator and a beadhead nymph of some kind.

The Chico Fly Shop can get you a few flies and get you started.

Good luck.

Kraig

Darian
09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi Kraig,....To add to the previous post, there is another fly shop up there called Fish First. Check out there website for reports and info:

www.fishfirst.com

Lotsa good fishin' around Chico.... 8) 8)

jbird
09-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the board Joshua. You will learn quickly if you hang around this place :D Lots o good folks here.

j

sculpin
09-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the board Joshua. My best advice is to step away from the fly rod before the addiction gets to bad. It's worse than drugs and as expensive as a mistress. :D

Mark

Adam Grace
09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Welcome Joshua, my name is Adam, I work at the Fish First fly shop in Chico. Stop by the shop and talk to Mac, he can give you all the information that you need. If you come by the shop on Saturday I'll be there to help you as well. Mac knows more about that area than myself but I have fished it enough to give you advice and tell you about a few different fishing spots.

Here's a picture of my buddy on the north fork of the Feather around Beldon forebay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP2727.jpg

Hairstacker
09-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Joshua, welcome aboard! Don't know about the Chico area but just wanted to extend a warm welcome.

Adam, nice picture. Interesting ventilation on that hat. :lol:

jswain
09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. A buddy of mine, who turned me on to fly fishing, and is a guide in Mount Lassen area told me much the same thing. "If you want local knowledge, talk to the local shops." Thanks again for the help, I look forward to roaming around the board.

Josh