PDA

View Full Version : Point and pinch or get spooled?

sacreno
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Last night I went to my usual spot on the A.R. to catch some dinks, take some photos (got some nice shots will post later) and maybe hook into a nice half pounder. Had several grabs to start and landed a 9-10" baby. On the next cast I hooked another. Had him about ten feet away and from the deep, a huge shadow darted and snatched it. I guessed it was about 40 plus inches and fat! Obviously the striper was very hungry because it wouldn't let go. I had my 4 wt and 5x leader. Not great for a monster in the current...LOL....it took me into my backing and I had enough. Pinched and popped the line.

I was surprised to see that monster up that early. Is this usual?

Katz
09-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Wow!

From what I understand, many of the Big Striper never leave the A. Or at least stay all the way through Fall.

Will need to start Halfpounder fishing with 15# maxima! :wink:

Kraig

TheBanshee
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Good post! I've been carrying my gear in the car for a week now, planning to get to the river and look for some halfpounders. Had heard that action had slowed to a crawl and was planning a post to see if others had had any luck.

I have a 5 weight rod and 6 weight line so I'm not looking for the big boys that should be arriving soon. Was wondering what I'd do if I hooked into something bigger - I guess sometimes there is no choice.

Can I ask the time of day, general region and what you were fishing? Drys near sundown? Dry with a dropper?

Dave

sacreno
09-27-2006, 04:47 PM
TheBanshee

check your PM....

PaulC
09-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Definitely cool. I've had some monster browns come out and grab a small bow on my 2wt. Then b-line straight down stream. Light tippet = no chance. Not much backing there....just hoping I could break off in time.
Those are definitely those heartstopping moments.
Amazing how fast they come out of nowhere also.
-Paul

mems
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Aloha, along the same lines, we had a dolphin eat a 20lb ahi last weekend and take the line for a ride. I told my friend to tighten down on the reel before he got spooled. The leader broke right after the bite guard. Boy did that reel scream for a long run. Mems.

sacreno
09-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I was hoping to hear from you salties....I'm sure there are some amazing stories out there. I watched this special on Italian fishermen with giant tuna's and the killer whales waiting for a free meal. sometimes those guys get pulled in when their catch gets yanked.

k.hanley
09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Say Hey Sacreno,
Exciting... oh ya! Glad you were aware enough to point and break. In the salt we often get lingcod latching on to the rockfish, or great barracuda blasting bonefish, etc. Another freshwater experience is when large pike smash walleye.
Cheers, Ken