PDA

View Full Version : Delta 9-24-06

Hairstacker
09-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Had an opportunity to fish the Delta evening bite today out of the plastic pool loung. . .uh, inflatable kayak. :lol: I rarely get a chance to fish the evening bite but something told me this would be one of those days when you just KNEW you'd regret it if you didn't make it out there. Know what I mean? As it was, I fished for about 1 1/2 hours from about 6:00 to 7:30.

The 1st 30 minutes or so it was pretty dead. I started daydreaming when I got a really good topwater strike by a very good fish on one of my blackbird divers. Almost gave me a heart attack. :shock: :lol: Unfortunately, he ran towards me, I never got the slack out of the line, and he got unbuttoned. From there on out, though, I didn't get anything particularly big, but the action was almost non-stop once the sun dropped below the horizon. Ended up catching a half dozen, had others become unbuttoned, and missed a bunch of strikes. Those fish really turned on once twilight settled in. The following fish was typical of this evening:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-24Delta2.jpg

This was a very fun fish. Just as I went to grab his lower lip, he took off again and swatted a good spray of water on my face. By the way, his eye was completely normal, that's just the effect of the camera flash. It sure was a nice evening out there -- calm, nice ambient air temperature, the place to myself. . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-24Delta1.jpg

I fished until I feared it was getting too dark to climb safely back up the levee with my kayak. As it was, I caught a fish about like the one pictured above on my planned very last cast. I really couldn't ask for a better way to end a trip. You just gotta love that Delta! :)

JerryInLodi
09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Hairstacker, awesome. Did you have anything with you to measure water temperature? I'm curious what the temperature rise is these fall days? I'm going out tonight so I'll get a reading. I suspect that the rapid rise from the low of 66 I measured on Saturday morning to something above 70 in the afternoon is really flipping the "on" switch for these fish.

If you check Blanton's board, KD has apparently found a school of stripers and one of his clients landed a 26 pounder on a topwater fly while they were fishing for LMB. They were still there when he took another client out the next day.

The post also features a detailed description of Kd being attacked by a yellowjacket. He shook it off and kept on going. Having been stung multiple times myself, I can tell you that's no small accomplishment!

Maybe I shouldn't put the 7 weight topwater outfit away yet...

Katz
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Great Report!

Hopefully your next one will include a 26# Striper as well :)

You might end up a few miles away from your car in that Yak though.

I wonder how far you would get towed along behind a monster Striper. :lol:

Kraig

Darian
09-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Hmmm,.... Probaky would be OK if it ended somewhere like the Sugar Barge Marina.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Jerry, no, I never did check the water temperature. I normally only check water temps in the spring to see when it hits the 60s. Based on past years' experiences, I expect the topwater bite for LMBs to be good at least through late October so I normally don't check water temps at this point in the year. That said, I find it very interesting, though, that you've already noticed the slide into the 60s -- I didn't think it happened so soon.

You also make an excellent point about the difference between the morning and afternoon water temps. I thought the bite was due to the low light conditions since it came on like a switch but I think the warming water is probably a factor too. Like you said in another post, it's a good argument for sleeping in the early morning. :lol:

Katz, I'm ready and willing to be towed by a 26# striper to the Sugar Barge. Actually, I don't think a striper, even a big one, would tow me very far. I hope to confirm that one day soon though. . . .

mikenewman
09-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Nice report, Mike. Time you rigged the PPL with lights though. :D
Jerry, I had a great day in the Spring (Including a 6.5 lber) with the water clocking 57f. I'll keep pitching til the fat lady sings!
Mike

lee s.
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Grand read Mike,
One of the spots we check water temps at the delta is http://www.lauritzens.com/water/Water.asp
We realize it may not be THE temp, but it gives us the "trend" anyway.
The delta water is nicer and cleaner than where we went this w/e....however that spot has it's bonuses too. :wink: Big fish ain't one of'em though. :lol:
....lee s.

Hairstacker
09-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Lee, that is a FASCINATING web-link you just provided us, thank you!!! If I'm reading those charts correctly, it appears that, aside from time of year, water temperatures are more directly linked to the state of the tides than ANY other factor, including time of day. In other words, the higher the water level, the higher the water temperature during a given day. Thus, you can see the highest water temperatures at midnight, for example, if that is when the water level is highest.

You probably had this all figured out already, didn't you? :lol: And here I had thought water temperatures simply warm up as the day progresses. . . . It would seem then, logically speaking, that during the time of year when water temperatures are dropping below the 70 mark overall, that perhaps the LMBs will be most active just before or just after the top of the high tide, all else being equal. (Which is about where it was when the fish turned on last night.) Thus, it would seem high water levels and low light should be a priority time to fish, given a choice. Fascinating. . . . Thanks again Lee!! I feel I've learned something very valuable from you. 8)

KD
10-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Hairstacker, I think it depends on a lot of things. One thing is certain, tides do impact water temps, and throw another variable into the mix and consider different currents and moon phase,etc. I would challenge a general theory that the warmest water is at high tide. This is really dependent on where in the system you are taking temp readings and many other factors such as tributary flows and time of year.

As an example, winter water temps(vacinity) can rise on the outgo if water is coming from a backwater slough for example. Or if the tributary temps are actually higher than surrounding delta water. This obviously depends on where you are in the system. Outgoing tides can draw this warmer water into surrounding areas. There are other factors that can come into play as well. Tidal "cushions", etc. In the area you fish most you must certainly have seen some of these effects this year with the high river(SJ) flows. Water clarity is another aspect to all of this and can be very descriptive of how water moves throughout the system and how that movement can impact the water temps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, i believe in your case, by being limited in mobility because of your PPL(:-)) you are somewhat limited in seeing some of these tidal influences on water temps. One of the things that can really improve one's knowledge of the Delta fishery is to get a better understanding of how water moves within the system. As with all of us, i am constantly learning more and more with each and every outing. We are very lucky the Delta has lifetimes of exploring and learning to offer.

Lauritzen's site is good reference data for that general area and the main flows.

k.hanley
10-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I've enjoyed following this thread about the Delta and it is just too vast, too complex, to have any easy answers on water temps or tidal affects. That's the beauty of the place in my mind. As most of you know, I believe a better understanding of nature first and being a FF technician second is always a smart approach. The angler who best understands nature's cycles and impacts has a far better chance of catching fish. It's a lifetime journey. Take it slow. Enjoy the process. You'll catch fish no doubt.
Cheers, Ken