PDA

View Full Version : Desolation

A Matthews
09-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Desolation Wilderness is a great example of truth in advertising. I was reminded of that during a recent backpacking trip where my fishing didn't involve much catching. And it wasn't from lack of trying. Until the last day or so of our trip, we barely saw signs of fish. If it weren't for one day at Gilmore Lake, the whole trip was almost a total bust.

Am I just going to the wrong places in the area or is Desolation generally not too productive? Over the last few years, I've only had success at Gimore, Susie, and Fontanellis Lakes. I hate to write off a whole area but all my trips to other parts of the Sierra have always offered far more productive fishing. (By contrast the fishing during my trip around the Weber Lake area of the Eastern Sierra last year was so good that I lost count of how many fish I caught).

Then again, maybe it was the time of year?

Brad Blancett
09-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry your trip did not pan out well. Maybe some of the info below can help.

You are correct ! the fish populations are low for the area. It is not what it use to be 15 years ago.

To start with Desolation Wilderness is the most heavily used wilderness area per acre in the United States. With the Heavy traffic this area sees it is very tough fishing due the the excessive pressure by hikers, fishermen, bird watchers and photographers. Brook trout are no longer stocked by California Department of Fish and Game in Desolation Wilderness. We used to catch a mess of them there, they can still be found in the lower lakes but not very large.

This is a very beautiful area as for the fishing well that is why it is called fishing . BTW I have caught fish there with everything from a #28 midge dry to a # 8 hopper. Mainly in the Late Spring Some years are just better than others. I also do not have any plans on going back in the near future due to the heavy use of the area.

Jeff F.
09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
It slows down up there around this time every year. It does pick up in October when the fish start to feed for winter.

I've been to the majority of the lakes in the DW over the last few years, and yeah, the fishing can be tough. However, there are some "sleepers" up there that are definitely worth the hike, and usually fish pretty good all year! And I'm not talking about those trash fish......errrrrrrr......I mean brookies....either. (Sorry, but I have a strong dislike for them).

but yeah, there are more lakes up there that suck, but a few real gems also. Just gotta try 'em all, then you'll know.

Sacfisher
09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I have fished in desolation wilderness and i hav found that Forni lake and also lake #3 are really good lakes to fish. You can access them by Using the Ice House lake road then taking (Ithink it's called) Cheese Camp road toward the Van Vleck bunk house. There is a trail head there that will take you to a plethora of lakes. Most of them are pretty small but hold a good # of fish. If you would like to know more I would be glad do give you better directions.

Eyecatch Tinytrout
09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
...I'm not talking about those trash fish......errrrrrrr......I mean brookies....either. (Sorry, but I have a strong dislike for them).

Hi, Jeff F. What's your beef with the brookies, if ya' don't mind me asking? Is it their tendency to overpopulate and stunt?

Regarding the fishing in Desolation, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a hard time up there. I've always just chalked it up to me being a crappy fisherman.

Cheers.
Tiny

Jeff F.
09-28-2006, 08:54 PM
....that's part of my beef. I've seen quality rainbow fisheries get completely wiped out due to brookie plantings and subsequent "rabbit-like" breeding. (I think that popular term should be changed to "F***ing like brookies").

Also, personally, I think that brookies fight like a wet washcloth, or in most cases, a wet Kleenex.

They are, however, a gorgeous fish......and I don't eat trout, but I do understand that they are the best tasting of all the troutoids.

Who knows....maybe I'll fish for them again someday. But currently, I have no interest in them. Dumb, sizeable, wild rainbows....and the remote places I find them, are why I fish.