PDA

View Full Version : Fall bass fishing

Adam Grace
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Lately my small pond bass have been very grabby and the have been fighting very hard. I think that the slightly colder temps here in Chico have optimized the water conditions or something. The bass could also have started gorging themselves in preparation for winter. What ever it is I am having a blast! I am using my small 3wt and 10"+ bass are fighting so hard that they are bending the rod all the way down to the handle like they were much larger. I love fishing with light rods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Chico/IMGP1653.jpg

The Fall is my favorite time of the year to fish. Unfortunately school and work or not leaving me with hardly any time to take a fishing trip for trout or steelhead. Luckily I have these ponds to fish whenever I have a little free time. If you live close to warmwater fisheries give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Hairstacker
09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Adam, nice fish! I've also felt bass start becoming more "grabby" and aggressive around this time of year, which can make for some exciting topwater action when using a very fast retrieve. 8) 8) 8) Catching 'em on a 3 wt. sounds like a blast!

09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Adam and Mike,

You guys are making me jealous! Adam, I sure wish there were some ponds like you have there available around here (Sac) to fish. I am sure there are some ponds but none that I know of that are open to the general public. Maybe its time to head back to the Delta with my kayak this time. Any suggestions?

Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2006, 02:12 AM
KD says May is really big in the Delta for top water LMBing.

I think that Sept/Oct is probably another good period as the water cools some for Fall?

JerryInLodi
09-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Bill, the delta's still producing fish, just not as rapidly as in the spring. At least that's my take on things. I took my brother-in-law and one of his friends out last Sunday for three hours. The friend had never fly fished and had no clue but was able to land three bass and missed (LDRed) two more. I was pretty much coaching but got in about thirty casts and caught a couple of fish. I didn't pay that much attention to my brother-in-law but he did OK.

I've found with the cold morning temperatures there's no rush to get out on the water early, wait till the sun shines. After about three to four hours things really slow down around noon.

I was thinking to myself the whole time, Man, I wish I caught three and missed two the first time I fly fished! As I recall, it took me three outings to even catch a small hatchery trout below Camanche on the Mokelumne.

I'm going to force myself to leave my seven weights on the dock though from now on and concentrate on finding those stripers. I know from the bait guys and trollers that some fish are up in my area (I see the dead ones hanging off their boats on stringers on about every third boat. Breaks my heart!), just have to find them and tease them into taking a fly.

09-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the advice! I have some use or lose vacation time to take this year so I will probably try take a day off pretty soon to get down there to that area you showed me for kayaking.

If you need someone to help you prospect for Stripers let me know and I will see if I can get away for that as well. I am really looking forward to our striperfest date Nov 4th. I actually did some prospecting for stripers the other day after work on the American with no luck. At least it was a nice evening, not like the windy son of a gun we had today!

Dana is gone for the weekend to her Moms in Ukiah so I am batching it for a couple days. They are doing some final planning for their trip to Europe. Tomorrow I go over to my sons to hopefully do the final mixing for the NCFFB song we recorded last Saturday. Hope to have it to Greg and up on the board in a week or so. Catch you later.

Bill