PDA

View Full Version : Storage

TaylerW
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
just needed some ideas for cheap compact organization

Matt Frey
09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I have been using these cheap small plastic boxes from TAPP Plastics in various sizes to hold thread, dubbing, and beadheads.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=226&

For my fur and feathers I use cheap rubbermaid-like plastic lided containers

If you have any other suggestions let me know. I need a better way to store beadheads.

Tony Buzolich
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Go to Office Depot, or Lowes, or any place that sells office supplies and buy a couple of stackable trays in a mini-chest form. I've got several about 3"hX12"w in sets of three per chest that work great. Stack the chests on top of each other and keep buying the same kind so that they all match and agree with each other and some even lock together.

TONY

Frank Alessio
09-21-2006, 12:00 PM
What do you put in your boxes to keep bugs from eating your Hackle off of your Flys????????

Darian
09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey Frank,.... I've used a section of Cat's flea collar placed in a zip-lock bag with the materials with some success. Some tiers freeze their materials.

Now, I have a bunch of Cedar strips that I cut to about 10" lengths and place them in the larger containers/crates. Haven't had any problems since the switch. 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
I've done the same as Darian and use cedar. No issues with eaten necks yet.
Some of the high end furniture, if you go that route, has the option to install cedar in the drawers.
-Paul

Frank Alessio
09-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks Darian..... I have used small amounts tobacco in with individual flys.... I have not had a problem with whole necks only with individual flys from time to time... What kind of animal does that....you never see anything..... Thanks

Darian
09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Hmmm,....Since you never see them, I'd say it's moth larvae.... :? :? :?

Hairstacker
09-23-2006, 10:59 PM
For storing tying materials and fly boxes filled with flies, I like to use those big, flat plastic bins with lids you can buy at Wal Mart or Target. I get the biggest size that will fit under the bed. :D I organize by only putting certain types of materials in each bin -- i.e., feathers in one, hair in another, synthetics in yet another, etc.

I try to group certain types of materials in large plastic zip lock bags in these bins -- for example, a bag for all chenilles, another for dubbing, another for dry fly tailing feathers, another for bugger hackles, etc.

In each container with natural materials and/or flies, I toss in a couple of plastic 35mm film containers filled with moth balls. I drill a big hole in each of the lids to make sure the moth balls can do their stuff. So far, I've never had a bug problem.

I also have a cabinet containing fly reels and tying tools. Additionally, this cabinet contains small boxes of items not in the bins under the bed: wires and tinsels get their own container, as do different sizes and types of threads, and yet another container for floss. Another small container contains beads, coneheads, dumbbells, chains, and eyes, and another container of just hooks.

One last thing I do for organization is to keep an Excel spreadsheet of my tying inventory. That way, at a glance, I can tell if I have something somewhere. This cuts down on a lot of duplicate purchases.

Lastly, I have a 100+ lb German Shepherd with a pretty impressive German working-background pedigree who guards all this stuff for me. I keep her fairly lean and hungry. :D

Mike O
10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
no-pest strips and small 13"X4" Plastic pencil cases from Wal mart They are on clearance now for a buck.

have been eyeing my wife's scrapbooking storage tower....8 12X12 locking plastic boxes in a tower with wheels...check scrapbooking stores.

look at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac020204.html for no pest strip idea. Thanks Al, wherever you are.

MAO