PDA

View Full Version : Local dragon fly

Todd
09-18-2006, 10:38 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/troutman2/RedDraFly45x7JP.jpg

This shot was taken at my backyard water garden/fishpond. The dragon flies lay their eggs here every year...we've seen a couple hatch the following year. Shot was taken with Canon Rebel with a Canon 300mm lens to get the nice background....

Todd
09-18-2006, 10:40 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/troutman2/CopyofRedDraFly5JP.jpg

Same dragon fly, taken from a different angle...same lens and camera

Todd

David Lee
09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks for posting those Todd .

Dragons and Damsels are good 'juju' - I've spent the best days of my life with them as my companions . Nothing quite like being alone on a Smallmouth stream w/ a Rust Dragon or Olive band-wing Damsel (the ones w/ the clear wings w/ the Red band ...) keeping you company .

Good stuff ....

David :D

Todd
09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks David...you're right they are 'good juju' I sit and watch them all the time in my backyard....plus fish damsels quite a lot....

Todd

Flyjunkie
09-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Great Shots!!!! I, too, Enjoy the Members of the Odonata Clan.. they are Fascinating Insects.. I love to watch Dragonflies on the Hunt, they nail pretty much everything they target and eat them in flight...

Thanks for sharing those GREAT PHOTOS!!!!!

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)

Todd
09-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Dean

Thanks ... I love Hunter S....for all Hunter S fans check out this brewery from Colo. Their label is by Ralph Steadman and Hunter was a friend...

http://www.flyingdogales.com/

Their beer is good too!

Todd

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Spectacular................

jbird
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
My father in law is a good ole boy from Virginia and he calls dragon flies "snake doctors" Anyone else ever hear this term? I always would chuckle when he said it, but never asked...

Jay

Adam Grace
09-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Awsome pictures. Those canon digital SLRs kick but!

Matt Frey
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Those are sweet!

k.hanley
09-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Beautiful Todd. Great color on that guy. Dragonfly and damselfly action is always fun stuff!
Cheers, Ken

Todd
09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Ken

Glad you liked it. Your book Fly Fishing Afoot In The Surf Zone!has been helpful to me recently fishing Mission Bay. My daughter just started at SDSU...I've been renting a skiff from Seaforth and fishing for bonito and calico bass....great fun. Next on my agenda is to focus on the halibut.....

Todd

k.hanley
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the kind words Todd. Much appreciated. That little book (more of field guide workbook) has now sold over 10,000 copies. Yet, I still rarely run into FF people on the beaches along the west coast. Anyway I wish you the best in your surf zone adventures. Stay safe out there.
Cheers, Ken

Flyjunkie
09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words Todd. Much appreciated. That little book (more of field guide workbook) has now sold over 10,000 copies. Yet, I still rarely run into FF people on the beaches along the west coast. Anyway I wish you the best in your surf zone adventures. Stay safe out there.
Cheers, Ken

We're all embarrassed by our Sucky Casting Skills.. so when we see you coming, We Run for Cover... :D :D

I wonder about that abit as well, Ken.. Thought I will admit that I see More folks with Flyrods along the Coast Nowadays then I did back in the Early 90s......

I guess it's because there's ALOT Of Beaches and Shoreline to fish.... :wink:

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)