PDA

View Full Version : Rod Building....

Darian
09-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Hey everyone,.... Thinkin' about building a 8 weight, 4 piece, fly rod. Maybe on a TFO blank. I want a faster 8 weight than those I already have.

A question I have for you guys is what is the preference of the group for placement of the guides.... On the side of the blank where the spline is or the opposite side :?: :?: :?:

I've read about this and seen the discussions on other BB's but, due to differences discussed, am still a little confused about this area of rod building. :? :? :?

jbird
09-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Darian

Here is a great tutotial thats loaded with useful info.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/index.html

It takes you from A to Z in building a flyrod.

Jay

Lucky
09-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Opposite spline for me.

Hewie
09-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I asked the same question when I built my first rods. Everyone had a different answer, but I've settled on placing guides opposite the spline for blanks up to a 7 wt, and on the spline for 7 wt and higher rods.

Here is a good post from a few years back on the Rodbuilding.org forum: http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,32194,32239#msg-32239 Check out the rodbuilding.org FAQ for more discussion as well.

Building rods doesn't seem to be terribly popular, but I find it really enjoyable. It allows me to own and tryout more rods than I would otherwise be able to afford. My next rod will probably be a small stream 2-3 wt 7 1/2ft glass rod- it would never get off my wish list if it weren't for home building.

Darian, I'm sending you a PM with a couple of additional thoughts.

Dave

Darian
09-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey guys,.... good info. The websites you had some good info concerning the subject on them.... Gotta decide on a blank, now. 8) 8) 8)

Lucky
09-19-2006, 02:57 AM
Dan Craft has some awesome blanks. The FT series is awesome. The 8 weight a friend just built truly an impressive rod. I have the 10 weight.

Hairstacker
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Darian, you should definitely check out www.rodbuildingforum.com -- not only have they posted some great articles for new rod builders, but there are some very experienced rod builders on the forum who enjoy helping with any questions you might have, like this one. They are a sister site to www.flytyingforum.com which is a GREAT site for fly tyers.

SteveWright
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Darian, you should definitely check out www.rodbuildingforum.com -- not only have they posted some great articles for new rod builders, but there are some very experienced rod builders on the forum who enjoy helping with any questions you might have, like this one. They are a sister site to www.flytyingforum.com which is a GREAT site for fly tyers.

I second rodbuildingforum.com, they have a lot of great knowledge and are easily approachable.