PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks, introducing myself

09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Folks,

I am taking the opportunity to introduce myself to the group here with my first post on Bill’s Fly Fishing message board. I love Bill’s fly shop and have done my fair share in keeping him in business over the years. I never really checked out the shops web page or knew about the message board until Jerry from Lodi, a new fishing friend of mine told me about it recently. I have done a little browsing and I like the information that is shared and the division of topics as well. I also belong to the Northern California Fly Fishing Board and notice a number of folks like myself, Jerry, Bill and Lee s. share time on both boards as well.

I am 54, a Civil Engineer with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (part of the Department of Agriculture), alumni of Humboldt State University and work out of Davis, CA. I have been fly fishing and tying for about 35 years. My first love in fly fishing is for trout on small streams in the Sierra's. I love all kinds of fly fishing however. I love both canoeing and kayaking and both go well with fly fishing. I have a few friends that I take a week long canoe trip with somewhere in the Northwest every year. Our favorite places are the John Day River and Owyhee River in Oregon for terrific smallmouth fishing.

My wife and I just picked up matching sit on top Kayaks (the Hobie Quest) and are having fun learning how to fish out of them. Jerry from Lodi has given me some tips on places to fish with my kayak in the delta and I am looking forward to trying that. I have been married for 29 years and my wife also loves to fly fish with her other real passion being photography. We have 3 terrific Kids and the oldest (26) also loves to fly fish but has limited time these days.

I also have another hobby reflected in my handle (Bluegrass Bill) that I have a tremendous passion for. I have been playing guitar for about 25 years now and belong to a Bluegrass band called Western Lights. Our band has been together for about 12 years now and we have a lot of fun playing around the local Sacramento area and once in a while over towards the bay area. You can check out our web page by clicking on the link to our bands web page.

I look forward to sharing information and meeting folks from this board.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines!

Sincerely,

Bill Ward (ie, Bluegrass Bill)
Sacramento, CA

Adam Grace
09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the board Bill!

David Lee
09-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Welcome , Bill !!

Lee introduced you and I a few years ago - nice to meet ya again !

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2006, 01:56 AM
We are glad to have you.

I think that is pretty neat that you took the time to make an intro.

Hairstacker
09-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Hey Bill, welcome aboard!! Glad to have you here! A lot of nice folks on this board, I think you'll like it here.

09-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Adam, David, Bill and Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! :) I am looking forward to getting to know folks on this board. David, you are right, Lee did introduce us and he told me I should definitely get to know you, seeing as how close we live to each other. I haven't seen you on the NCFFB for a long time and had forgot to followup on that. We'll have to get together for sure this time around. Bill, you have a great shop there and I always enjoy going in to stock up and chat some with the guys there.

Best wishes and tight lines to all! :)

lee s.
09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Bill,
Welcome! 8)
Watch out for David. He likes paddling around on a little chip'o'plastic too. :lol:
See ya at the bash next month?
....lee s.

09-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Lee,

Thanks! Sounds like David and I need to get together for some paddling. Yes I will be at the bash next month and with my little "chip of plastic" to boot! :D Look forward to seeing you there!

Bill

David Lee
09-17-2006, 11:39 AM
"Chip of plastic" ....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deathtrap , is more like it !!

David :D

sculpin
09-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Bill
Welcome to the board . It's always nice to have new folks point of view.

Mark

Anne Vitale
09-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi Bill....Welcome to the board :) :) . I hope to see you at the Forebay in Oct. I think it has been a whole year since we last saw each other down there ....Anne

09-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Anne,

Good to hear from you and yes it has been awhile. I will be at the upcoming bash and am looking forward to it and seeing lots of old friends there. Been doing much fishing?

Bill

Hairstacker
09-18-2006, 03:57 AM
"Chip of plastic" .......

Deathtrap , is more like it !!

Must be a reference to the USS Squirrelly. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey Bill

Lets us know when your group gets together for a show; would love to go hear some good ole bluegrass.

Charlie

09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey Charlie,

Thanks, I will definitely lt you know when and where we are playing next. We usually play once a month in West Sac at a Mexican Restaurant having just played there Sept 9. We are having some scheduling problems trying to get Octobers date set but I will let you know. Thanks for your interest. I would say we definitely have some good ol Buegrass to share with our audience. Where is OV?

Best wishes!

Bill

Charlie Gonzales
09-19-2006, 12:59 AM
That would be orangevale, just trying to church it up a bit. When I think of bluegrass I think of smokey ribs, tater salad, ice tea......... not chimichangas,chips n salsa, margaritas. But what the hell. I'll be there. got a web site? I love some of the bluegrass on KVMR.

k.hanley
09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Welcome Bill. Maybe I'll see ya if you are going to the striper bash in October. I'll be there on Friday hanging out with Lee S.
Cheers, Ken

09-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the welcome :) ! I should definitely see you at the striper bash in October as I will be coming down on Friday also. I am actually bringing my old town tripper canoe down for Lee to borrow. I will be using my Hobie Quest kayak that weekend. Lee s. is one of my favorite fishing guys that I met through the NCFFB fishing events (bashes). He is a great guy for sure.

Look forward to seeing you both down there.

Bill

lee s.
09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
NOW.....if we could just fool the fish THAT easy!!!! :wink:
Thanks, but ya know them fly guys are a hoot. That's why we kinda hang wit'em.....when they let us. :roll:
We're really looking foward to this trip. Yahooo! 8) 8)

09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Lee,

Yeah those fly guys are a hoot aren't they :) . I get such a kick out of 'em that I wrote a song for the NCFFB guys. In a week or two it will be up on the board for all to listen to and hopefully chuckle about :D .

Looking forward to the October bash and also the November 4 striperfest where I will be fishing with Jerry and Marty. You going to be fishing that one?

See ya soon!

Bill