PDA

View Full Version : mokelumne flyfishing

09-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I've got some time this weekend near jackson and want to fish a half day.
anybody know if the mokelumne is worth fishing this time of year?
i was thinking of 4 sections
1. below salt springs
2. below tiger creek
3. elektra rd
4. below camanche
any feedback would be appreciated,
thanks
dave[/url]

Darian
09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Dave,.... My vote goes to the section below Salt Springs thru Tiger Creek. 8) 8) I'm not a fan of the river below the dam at Tiger Creek. On the few occasions that I've been down there, there was little or no streamside cover of any sort. Just bare rocks. :( :( :( Area was very hot and I imagine the water was too. 8) 8) 8)

Campbell
09-14-2006, 01:03 AM
I would fish below camanche. I live just a couple of min. away and the flows are perfect right now. They have added a lot of new gravel and this has made it really good for flyfishing. I would use a dry and dropper rig. Caddis on top and a small black dropper. Try a 16 PT Flashback. There are a lot of nice trout in this section. I have caught and seen some that have easily gone 24" with some occasional steelies. Get to the park early start up top and work the riffles and then some of the deeper slots. After you have worked your way down stream you can cross over to some private property and fish a couple of really nice runs down from the park and accross from some homes. Good Luck

mark
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Hello Campbell,

I love in Lodi and would be interested in floating that stretch of the mokelumne. Have you ever floated it? Is it possible to do it in a drift boat or am I limited to a small pontoon or something. I assume you would take out at mackvile rd.

Where have you been focusing your efforts in the park?

Thanks for the info.

-Mark

Campbell
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I have floated it a number of times in a canoe. At the current levels it is safe. My father in law floats it with a buddy whom has a pontoon drift boat (14') and do quite well. I know a lot of guys who float it in personal pontoons and also do well. The only problem is that there is no take out for large boats that need a truck to pull the boat out of the water. There is great fishing all through this area.

When I fish the park I always go up towards the sign that says no fishing beyond this point, and then work my way down. The river has changed a lot in the past 2-3 years from them adding so much new cobble to the river bed. Each time I go I learn a new spot.

09-14-2006, 06:43 PM
i talked to a guy from DFG who works at the hatchery today. he said they're doing a "pulse test" on Friday which means they're cranking up the flow from 400 CFS to 1500 CFS in order to spread the new gravel.
He guessed it would last about one day but it's hard to say how fish will respond.
dave earl

Chris Gearhart
09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I heard there was a closure on the river as far as floating it below Camanche. Has anyone heard if the closure has been lifted. I have always wanted to float it as well.

Chris

Campbell
09-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Floating the river was closed for most of the year. The flows were really high from all of the rain this past year. It opened up for floating about a month ago or so. This portion of the river will close on October 15th and re-open on January 1st.

mark
09-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Thats great info, thanks for the heads up Campbell.

I will give it a try here in the coming days.

Hopefully the new dam in woodbridge wil drastically improve the steelhead and salmon run up there.

-Mark

FishFiend
09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I work on the river for EBMUD below Camanche dam. They are increasiing the flows and there are some really nasty trees that cross the river and you will be hard pressed to get by them in a boat without any power. We use a jet boat. A couple of kayakers had to be rescued a few weeks ago because they got stuck on a giant cotton wood that blocks the whole river. That tree is really dangerous, lots of strainers. Be careful.

Dan

Chris Gearhart
09-16-2006, 12:09 PM
FishFiend,
That is great info. Do you know if there are any plans to clear the obstructions? Do you know what the flows are going up to ?

Chris

FishFiend
09-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I am not sure when the flows are going up I think they are going to be around 1500 cfs. As far as I know there are no plans to remove the trees from the river. The flows are going up to try and attract samlon and clean the gravel up for better spawning.

bkobrin
09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
I fished the river at Mackville Road for the first time this weekend. Nothing to report on the fishing front, but i did speak to several kayakers that said all was clear from Camanche all the way down. They did mention a tree, but everyone said that it was completely submerged and not an issue.

FishFiend
09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Then they didn't see the tree I am talking about. Maybe it is father down then they went. This tree is about three or four feet in diameter and crosses the entire river. I walked on it on Thursday of last week. It is below Mackville park a ways but upstream of an area we call Big Bend. On the far right side, when facing down stream, it is slightly submerged and a kayak could get through there but if the flows are high and you don't get over to that spot fast enough you are goining to be into that tree and the tree and river are going to tag team you. Even at 400cfs I think it would be dangerous. Good luck.