PDA

View Full Version : Yuba sight fishing 9/11

DonCooksey
09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Fished the low flow section of the Yuba :wink:, which is anywhere now that flows are less than 800 cfs below Englebright Dam). Had a frustrating time sight fishing for a lot of nice rainbows that were hanging around in deep pools that I've not been able to access before on foot. I offered everything I had to them, except what was in my wallet, but they would not give my flies more than a slight head turn. Went down to 6X tippet in the very clear water, but still nothing. I did manage a fat 16-incher, that I did not see, at the edge of a fast run, with a flash-back hare's ear. He jumped 4 times and made a couple of nice runs. Then I soaked my digital camera while netting him, so no photos of the fish or river appearance at these low water levels. Ooops, now that I think of it, I'm in trouble for the grandkid's birthday next weekend, since the camera is still not working. :oops: Anyway, I was encouraged to see so many nice-looking rainbows still in the Yuba, plus one huge fish (30"+) that moved up through a pool slowly and must have been a salmon.... or was it a big rainbow... hmmm. :shock: