PDA

View Full Version : Delta Jet vs. Prop

Katz
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Qestion:

I've been considering a John Boat and outboard for the delta and local rivers and I am debating a Jet vs. Prop. I keep leaning toward the jet as it would make the A, Feather and Lower Yuba more fishable.

My question is for the boaters in the Delta. Will weeds, etc be a big problem for a jet out there or will I be able to avoid them for the most part?

Thanks in advance.

Kraig

JerryInLodi
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Katz, I have absolutely no experience with jet drives but lots with weeds. If you fish LMB you will be in the weeds! However, most of the time you'll be using your trolling motor so you'll have to factor that in.

On occassion you'll blunder into some weed when you're using your outboard and hopefully you'll pick up on it before you get too deep and the weeds are at the surface and surrounding you. I would guess that they would shut down a jet drive, PERIOD!

A jet drive does have the advantage when fishing LMB in that you work close to the rip-wrap and you'll be able to blow your way off if your lower unit is in the rocks.

Perhaps someone who fishes the delta with a jet can provide additional info. I know that there are hundreds of happy personal watercraft users that seem to have no problem, weekend after weekend.

I also have a VERY nice Western 14 for sale, totally outfitted for fly fishing, foam filled, carpeted floors, seat lockers, depth sounder, VHF, mini center console, etc. If you're interested write me at gneuburger@yahoo.com

Katz
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Good point!

I forgot about all the Jet Skiiers weekend after weekend after weekend......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:

Kraig

KD
09-13-2006, 03:00 AM
Craig, I have fished out of big jets, small jets and props. I think you would do fine with a small jon/jet style boat in the Delta..HOWEVER...

Weeds will be a pain sometimes! It's the nature of the beast(jetdrive), they suck water and EVERYTHING else in it. Including plastic bags,etc...

Depending on the hull,wind can be a real pain with a jet.(no keel) This is a pain because...the wind can spin the boat more easily than when you have a lower unit in the water. The lower unit prop gearcase (skeg/keel) allows the boat to track a straighter line with less forward motion. A straight tracking boat is an important consideration when working the Delta. For Striper fishing epecially LMB fishing being to run a straight controlled track is beneficial. This is dependent on the size/length of the hull and style(chines, gunnel height, deadrise,etc.). This is all assuming that the boat will have a bow mounted trolling motor. Therein lies the problem with wind as a flat bottom jet hull WILL spin easier and the bow mounted trolling motor acts as the pivot point. (make sense?)

Small jets hulls work ok in the Delta as the jetdrive is nothing more than a standard lower unit with a pump section instead of the prop gearcase. They provide some similar tracking characteristics *depending on hull length as does a prop.

Large inboard jets will be more of a chore keeping them on track in the wind. I would not consider a 18-20+ft. inboard jet for what I do on the Delta. For a non guiding situation it would be ok. Especially if you are fishing by yourself most of the time. Another factor is current. No keel/skeg can work for you or against you*depending on the hull in a strong current situation.

As far as being up against a bank most outboard prop engines have a trim/tilt motor and do not become a hindrince and the damage factor doesn't come into play as long as you trim the lower unit up and out of the water. I would be more concerned with range, rough water handling, durability and safety on a small (ei: 16-17ft jon hull with jet) for Delta applications.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
It is always a compromise.

An open water boat for the Delta, inshore and reservoirs will have higher sides, deeper V-bottom (12 degrees) for rough water and a prop outboard for speed in getting around.

A river jet will have less V-bottom (6 degrees), lower sides and an outboard jet drive for running in shallow rocky rivers.

Both are really wonderful to have but you have to decide unless you can afford both.

You can use a jet in the Delta but you can't use a prop drive in the shallow Valley rivers.

If you need some help and ideas come by the shop and we will talk"boats".

PS: there is a smoken deal on our classifieds right now for a smaller jet boat.

k.hanley
09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Say Hey Katz,
KD points out some very vaild concerns. Our friend Striper Mike (McKenzie) used to guide from a jet boat in the Delta. The jet was indeed a compromise not worth the effort on most days. He sold that jet boat and got a standard deep-V and loved it.
Cheers, Ken

Katz
09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks to all for the great and thorough advice!

Whatever I decide, you are all welcome! :)

Kraig