PDA

View Full Version : Automobile remote controls

BigBuddha
09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know if those remote controls that lock and unlock your vehicle can take a dunking? I don't mean swimming with the thing under water, but if its in your vest and you take a fall, can it still work?

Ueyama
09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
How about a zip lock bag. I used them for my car keys and my matches/lighter.
Mike

jbird
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I have "dipped" mine a few times with no ill effects. I dont think I used them before they dried off pretty good. If you have a key on the keyring that unlocks the car, you might use that to allow the remote to dry off. Most of these portable electronics gadgets dont like to get used while wet. but will recover if allowed to dry first.

Jay

flygolf
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I dunked mine last month and it doesn't work anymore. (Audi)

Ueyama
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Oops... misread the post. This is only a suggestion and do not want to damage things even worse. Without breaking warranty to your remote key entry/lock system, (opening the casing if has screws on the back), maybe using a aerosol spray that cleans computers to fully get off the water inside. Make sure the battery is out before doing so. Then air drying.

Ed Wahl
09-11-2006, 01:01 AM
While fishing Long Canyon Creek last summer, my buddy lost the keys and alarm thingy to the rental he was driving. He had to walk back to camp, arriving late and pissed. The next morning all five of us went back to the stretch of creek that he had fished in what we figured was a futile attempt at finding them. Well, his son found them in a foot of water. When we got back up to the rental that was the big question. What do you know, it worked. After being under water all night. A small dunking would be nothing compared to that.

Jeff C.
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
The key less remote for my Lexus RX-300 is completely sealed. The battery even has an o-ring cover. I found this out when my keys fell out of the zip lock bag into a foot of water on the A. I thought I was screwed but it worked fine. I opened it up to dry it but found that it was completely sealed.