PDA

View Full Version : Try to get a week off in October?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2006, 12:15 PM
This is a favorite month to fly fish for many. The weather here in California is usually fantastic. Not too hot and not too cold. Many fisheries are in full swing then and there are lots of choices.

Stripers are getting going in the Delta and reservoirs too.

Salmon are in the rivers.

Many rivers have Steelhead in them then. The Feather, Rogue, Klamath and Trinity are the closest. In October the water is usually not too cold yet and the Steelhead will take a fly more easily then.

Black Bass should be happy too.

Trout in many of our Blue Ribbon streams are feeding up for winter. I like the Pit, Upper Sac and McCloud but many others will be going well then too.

Many trout lakes have fish feeding on or near the surface then. These can be mid-elevation trout lakes and our low elevation multi-specie reservoirs as well. It is top water Threadfin Shad time on many reservoirs.

Try to get a trip planned this Fall. You deserve it.

Get a recommendation for a good fly fishing guide here on this BB if you want to have more going for you.

You can email me if you want some help planning a good trip somewhere.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/River-Fishing/andynofoyuba.sized.jpg

sculpin
09-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Amen Bill. It's to bad October isn't 6 months long. To many places to fish and hunt and not enough time to do it all even if a person takes the whole month off.

Mark

Dustin Revel
09-09-2006, 11:20 PM
the heck with home coming that gets expensive I'm going fishing.
Dusty

EricO
09-10-2006, 10:44 AM
...is that the McCloud River, Bill? Just a guess. Very pretty
and on my list of must do's.... :P

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Eric,

I just went to our 'Gallery' on the main menu bar and used that photo.

It is Andy Guibord on the North Fork Yuba near Sierra City (circa July 1993)

Mostly small fish there but a nice place to fish.

The McCloud River below the McCloud Reservoir is famous for big Brown Trout that come up to spawn from Shasta Lake late in the season.

Right now I would hit the Pit River.

Ueyama
09-10-2006, 07:47 PM
EO, I initially thought the same thing and thought it was McCloud. From my experience with the browns on the McCloud, is to fish below the Conservecy. Hope this helps, Mike. :P

Ed Wahl
09-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Right on Sculpin. I've been saying that for years. This is by far my favorite time of year. Too many choices, too little time to do it all.

bigtj
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Bill,

I read your suggestion, and it seems I'm following your sage advice, because I'm taking off with a good friend on the 19th of October with my drift boat up to BC to fish the Bulkley, Morice and Kispiox. We won't return until the 2nd of November.

Life would be oh so much more wonderful if only we had 12 Octobers a year.

-John

Ed Wahl
09-11-2006, 11:33 PM
While catching cutts on a very small stream I came across three coveys of quail. Gonna go back again this year with a rod, a setter, and a shotgun. Gotta love the fall. :D :D :D