PDA

View Full Version : The best wife ever

Charlie Gonzales
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
My wife told me today that for our anniversary she wants to go to San Diego and do saltwater trip........I just emailed Conrad Bowman to book a trip. If you guys can reccomend other guides as a back up, I would appreciate it

Life is good :D :D :D
Charlie

Wednesday Caster
09-04-2006, 09:32 AM
CG,
Here's a site for the local SD guys. I'm sure one of them will point you to the right guide.
http://www.sdfish.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=127

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Charlie,

My friend Todd Setzer who is on this BB too has been down to Mission Bay recently because his daughter is going to college down there.

He has been renting a little outboard skiff for $45/4 hours.

He says you fish the tides with Clousers and it is really good fishing.

Boat rental:

http://www.seaforthboatrental.com/index.html

I'll email him.

Brad Blancett
09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Be careful leaving a Ford F 250 /350 diesel in that lot there has been a many of them stolen from there and Fishermans landing. One of my conventional buddy's lost his loaded F 350 last week while on an overnight trip.

PaulC
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey Charlie,
You might want to give the San Diego fly shop a buzz. They can probably point you in the right direction if you want to hit Torrey pines or blacks for an early morning session.
Conway and/or Dave can probably suggest some spots. I think Conway also guides the beach?
Corbina might still be around but the season is winding down.
If you're rolling through the Ventura/Santa Barbara area I'd be happy to wet a line with you.
Have fun on the trip!
-Paul

Todd
09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Charlie

I've been fishing Mission Bay lately. California Fly Fisher, April 2006 isssue has an excellent article on fishing MB.

You'll want to get a tide chart (free at shops) , and be sure to fish the moving tide. Use 6-8 wt rod (6wt. best) sink tip 200-300 grain with running line. While there are many species, you'll probably be catching sand calico bass and pacific bonito with this setup. Halibut are there as well, but harder to find and catch. Use clousers, white chartreuse, white/brown, actually anything even remotely resembling a bait fish, which are plentiful such as anchovies. I use same patterns as I use for Stripers in american river, just a little smaller. Ask Bill Kiene.

I rent a skiff from Sea Forth Boat Rentals. located on Ouivara Rd, off West Mission Bay Blvd. (619) 223-1681, first come first serve, but they always have boats avail. Cost is $45 for 4 hours. One minute from boat launch is a 75yd long dock where the bait barge is located. Boats getting bait pullup
on ocean side of the dock, I drift the other side and cast towards the dock, most always picking up the Bonito.

For sand bass motor to and fish under the Ingraham Street bridge...either side, although I anchor before going under, just ahead of bridge pliar. Last sunday I caught only 3 bass, but on Monday I had 10 in the first hour including 4 Bonito. In the four hours I must have caught 25 fish here, finished up drifting the bait dock with another 4 bonito. Most fun I've had there.

Stripping for bass: cast 1/4 down current let it drift while sinking, when it swings start stripping, some fast, then slower, about mid way let your fly stop as if its an injured bait fish, you'll get grabs on the pick up. Once you feel you have the fish hooked, set the hook. Bass are small, but are very tough and provide good grabs. The bonito are my favorite, they are very hot and will put the line back on your reel quickly. A big one is 14" and will blow your mind. There are some people who just drift the dock at bait barge, because they so much fun. Most people do not eat fish caught in MB, due to toxins from runoff of surrounding properties.

For Bonito at dock, start stripping after straightening your line, the bonito chase it and the grab is good.

Mission Bay is simply an awesome place for fishing, its accessible, productive and a lot of fun. If you're looking for a nice place to stay try the Dana Inn (619) 222-6440 they have a good rate for parents of San Diego State Univ parents. It's located on the Marina and across the street from Sea Forth.

Good luck, you'll love fishing there...

Todd

Charlie Gonzales
09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have done the boat rentals in MB and Newport when I was living in Laguna, and we used to float tube Dana Point around the bait bucket. Fishing was great and yeah the Bonita are a blast, But since this is my girls first trip I want it to be as comfortable as possible. With Conrad and his guides I wont have to worry about gear I'm, just gonna use his. Plus I'm hopeing for a shot at a mako(keep my fingers crossed). I have experience with all the major species(including mako) on conventional gear but I have never done it on the fly. Contacting San Diego fly was my next step. If all goes well.....28 days til I'm fishin and another and 23 days after that its duck season :D :D :D