PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane John

Jay Murakoshi
09-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Hurricane John hit La Paz with a vengence. The Hotel La Concha sustained some major damage. The hurricane came up the Sea of Cortez and hit the East Cape, missing a direct hit on Los Cabos and Cabo San Lucas but still flooding and heavy winds.
I'm hoping every one comes through this hurrincane and recoveres quickly

Jay

Brad Blancett
09-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Here’s a typical message from early evening and this morning:

PP: (3:10:37 pm): Right now it's coming down in sheets and winds are about 60 MPH, but we should get the 110 MPH in couple of hours. Our windows are boarded up so we can't see, but the last time I ventured outside the waves were about 4 feet and the tide was high, but not much more than a normal high tide. Power is going in and out so we will probably lose that soon.
MR: (4:37:58 pm): We may have had wind to 25, just 2 inches of rain; we had more rain two weeks ago.
MR: (5:55:39 pm): Man did we take a hit. Ripped doors out by the jams. Filled the house with water and tossed things around pretty good. The eye came over us about 10pm last night. I can't get out the front or back door because of all the downed trees. Well, at least I still have a front door (minus the stained glass) The front door at guest house is laying out in the driveway.
MR: (7:14:37 am): A 28’ Californian parked on a trailer behind Vista Del Mar. The wind blew it off the trailer and it rolled 360 degrees. Landed on its bottom after taking out the Bimini, rails and more. The 100 pound battery is lying in the dirt next to it. The trailer is bent like a pretzel.

As the reports continue to filter in, it sounds like plenty of property damage, but fortunately few injuries.

No word from Pam Bolles yet.

Brad Blancett
09-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Wierd ! I dont know how the double post thing happens ??

k.hanley
09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Say Hey Jay,
How is Jonathan doing? Any word on the situation for Ramon and the crew???? Got my fingers crossed everyone makes it through ok.
KH

Jay Murakoshi
09-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I haven't heard anything new from Jonathan but like I mentioned earlier all emails are coming through his Blackberry (whatever that is). He didn't say how much damage the hotel took but it doesn't sound as bad as 2003, at least for now.
I'm wondering how his new store did. It's in a flood plane, right off that big mountain.

Hopefully this will be the only hurricane this year. I haven't heard about the captains and how the weathered the storm. Being that they live in Aguamargua, I'm sure they got hammered pretty good. I was thinking about the panga's. I wonder if they trailer them to the house and tie them down or leave them on the beach and hope like hell they don't end up on the highway.

I'll be waiting for more info

Jay

Darian
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Just read the road conditions report on BajaInsider.... :? Looks like the areas hit the worst were Los Barriles, small towns (El Sargento, etc.) around La Ventana, Mulege, which remains without elecricity/facilites and is cut-off from the north and the south with roads washed out.... :( :( :(

Odd how some areas were hit very hard and others (just down the road) susteained relatively minor damage. Gonna be a major effort to rebuild. 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Darian

You'll be amazed how fast the roads are reconstructed. Remember the ride out to the lighthouse and the spots I was telling you about being washed out, especially the long hill down to LaSchoola.

Las Ventana and El Sergento are in the same area. You probably went past both villages when you were cruising.

Yeah, it's weird how the rain comes down. When I was there in July, we had that big thunder shower at 4am in the morning and it rained 2" where the hotel was at but on the other side of La Paz, they didn't get a drop.

Oh well, I have one year for them to complete all the work

Jay

Darian
09-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Just reviewed the photo's you sent.... 2' of running water on the Malecon :shock: :shock: :shock: I keep thinking about all of those makeshift houses on the outskirts La Paz.... I wonder if any of them are still there... :? :? :? Good thing mexican people are resourcefull and resilient. 8) 8) 8)