PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Challange for You...

Flyjunkie
08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Finally hit the Surf yesterday... ( Hadn't cast a fly since Last month in Baja... :cry: )

Ended up working a Small Bay up by Oxnard.. it's basically a Small cove that forms along the North Jetty wall of Channel Islands Harbour it can be pretty sweet at times, but as Paul C. can attest to, it can be the Dead Zone as well...

Anyway, I was "Test driving" my new Echo2 6wt... I had the Distance tip on it, and was enjoying the way it feels, casts and general performance....

I hooked a 18" halibut, but found out I hadn't put the Batteries in the Camera and didn't feel like keepin' the Hali out of the water longer to put in Batteries..so I let it go..
I hooked another Halibut, this one being smaller..probably 12 inches.. it fell off the hook at the shoreline.. Oh well..it's still fun...

Then I caught this:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Flyjunkie/ClamRazzler1.jpg
I've Never hooked a Clam on my Razzler so this was First... Very Subtle take and not much of a Fight.. but getting the Fly out of it's grasp was something, they are Tough little Buggers when they don't wanna give up your Fly... :wink:

I am curious to try for More Clams.. it's not easy getting them to eat one's Fly... It's a Challenge :wink: :D

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)

Tony Buzolich
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Quite a trophy. What size tippet did you use? Probably a new IGFA class record?

Just kidding Dean. I've caught plenty of them in the delta when dredging for stripers.
TONY

David Lee
08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I've sorted the problem , Dean ...... You've got the wrong fly on . :?

Razzlers ain't the ticket - you need the all white/cream version w/ the green flecks on it ....... think it's called the WHITE SAUCE :P

(Sorry :roll: .... I had to ........ :oops: )

:evil: David :evil:

jbird
08-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Dean

I think you need to speed up your retrieve a little :wink:

Jay

Flyjunkie
09-01-2006, 09:36 AM
TONY,

8lb. Rio Floro.... Probably not a IGFA Line Class record.. Too small... :wink:

DAVE,

Since I don't eat Clams in Clam Sauce, could you forward me that Dressing.. :wink: :D

JAY,

Maybe, my retrieve was strips of about 3 - 5 inches.. in a steady cadence, apparently my fly's path went right past this Calm and it decided it had to have it... :)

Maybe going out on Labor Day(Early, before the Hordes attack the Beaches) and try for More Clams... More halibut would be Even nicer.. I promise I'll put the batteries in the Camera right away so I can post Pictures of them Short halibut... :wink: :D :D

DEAN ~ ~ 8) 8)

Darian
09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey Dean,..... Ever caught a gooey duck :?: :?: :?: :evil:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
You need to send that info with photo to the salt water magazine?

PaulC
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Dean,
Give me a buzz or email if you're up for hooking up for a morning session. I was thinking of the same thing. Tides aren't great, but I need to get on the water. There's sometimes a creeper big hali in that hole.
-Paul

Flyjunkie
09-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey Dean,
Give me a buzz or email if you're up for hooking up for a morning session. I was thinking of the same thing. Tides aren't great, but I need to get on the water. There's sometimes a creeper big hali in that hole.
-Paul

Sounds GOOD... What the Hell, why not try for a Big 'But before running off to a Bar-B-Q... I'll Email or call you so we can set up a Meeting time....

You are Soo Right, there are sometimes Very big Hali's in that Cove... I've seen what looked to be 10 lb. plus 'But roll up and slash into the Always present baitfish in there... :thumbsup:

Besides.... There's always a chance for a Corbina there.... :wink:...

DEAN ~~ ~ 8)

PaulC
09-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Kinda funny we're hooking up a fishing date given we live 20 miles away from eachother on a board that is 300+ miles away from either of us. That and the beach is 5 miles away from me.

The beauty of the internet and definitely cool Mr. Kiene hosts this board for all of us to benefit from.

There definitely are decent fish in there. Saw the most corbina ever in that cove, but no takers.
They were just having a social party.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hali.jpg

Darian
09-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey Paul,.... That's a really nice Halibut. They sure are a good lookin' fish (good eating too) :D :D :D

Brad Blancett
09-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Hey Deano ,

I don't think that is a Legal method of take for clams !! :D :wink:

Flyjunkie
09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Deano ,

I don't think that is a Legal method of take for clams !! :D :wink:

That's why I released it, I wasn't certain if it was a Legal method of getting Clams... :wink: :D

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)