PDA

View Full Version : West Walker river question

OregonSalmon
08-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Haven't fished the West Walker in years and back then the most effective lure was a yellow crappie jig. Does anyone have any snobby fly suggestions?

Darian
08-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Hi Galen,..... Man, your question brings back some very fond memories.... 8) 8) If you're talking about the main Walker between the dam at Bridgeport Reservoir and the Nevada border, the last time I fished it I used a local pattern called the Sierra Sculpin.... :)

This was a muddler type fly. The tail was short/sparse length of Grey Squirrel tail, the body was grey yarn or muskrat dubbing (weighted), The underwing was sparse Grey Squirrel covered by a pair of grizzly hackles; divided and as long as the body. The head was spun Antelope or Deer body hair. A compact and heavy fly for gettin' down in a hurry. 8) 8) 8)

As I recall, the water below the reservoir was always slightly turbid. :? :? The West Walker, above the reservoir didn't fish well back then.... SOooo, most of us didn't fish it much. :? :?

Did a lot of prospectin' around there and the back side of Owens dry lake then, too. Highly mineralized area. Cool places to explore. :D :D :D

bigtj
08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Is this snobby enough?

Stay away from my favorite fly rivers with those jigs, you uncivilized spin fisherman!

OK just kidding that was my snobby reply. For an actual honest reply, and assuming you are asking for what flies to use, I suggest imitations of all the stages of caddis - larva, pupa, and adults, in sz. 12-16 in olive or cinnamon. Your local fly shop undoubtedly will have gobs of patterns to choose from. Pretty hard to beat that combination anywhere on the east side of the sierra.

Rob
08-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Got this from FlyFishNeveda.com

Autumn - Starting in September (depending on snow pack and the level in Bridgeport Reservoir) the water levels begin to drop with October and November being prime months to fish the East Fork. Streamers come into their own during the fall with the fish bulking up for winter and the Browns spawning. Midges also make a come back in late fall. Again standard dry and nymph patterns take fish and terrestrials still effective in early fall. Streamers should be lively, big and heavy with favorites being Wooly Buggers, Muddlers, and leach patterns. For rods, again a 5 or 6 weight are good all around choices, but for streamer fishing go heavy to help fight those big flies and bigger fish, try a 7 or even 8 weight with short stout 3x or bigger leaders. For midging try a 3 or 4 weight and long 6x or smaller tippets.

OregonSalmon
08-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Just kidding about being snobby. Fished it once and it was hilarious, right below the dam. This fly fisherman turned us on to yellow crappie jigs. That day, and the next day, we were the only people catching fish. The 19 cent crappie jig. We were drinking beer, laughing like hell and everyone else was getting skunked. The smart fellas went to something yellow. Then we had to flee the town since we had accidently broke an old T.V. in the motel room the night before.
Once again, we got away with everything!!!
Thanks for the info guys.

bigtj
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I knew you were kidding I took it as a golden opportunity to give you a ribbing right back. Let us know how it goes and have a great time.

Best,

-John