PDA

View Full Version : Orvis is upgrading its Superfine Rod series

Hairstacker
08-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Word on the street is the Orvis Superfine series of fly rods will be “upgraded” with a newer version scheduled to start rolling out in the November 2006 timeframe. Apparently, the newer version will be called the Superfine Troutbum series and will have a slightly different action, different components, and will be priced in the $425 - $475 price range, depending on model. Aside from these rumours, the manager of Orvis Palo Alto confirmed to me today that the upgrade is indeed happening.

Sort of reminds me of Scott’s upgrade of the G model series to the G2. If you’ve been hankering to get the exact action of the Orvis Superfines that have been around for a couple of decades, now may be your last chance to do so. Seems to me that folks who own these rods tend to hang on to them and you don't see a lot of them on eBay, for example, like you do with other rod series that get discontinued or upgraded.

Certain very popular models, like the 7’ 9” 5 wt. Far and Fine, appear to have been selling very briskly online over the past week as some folks have begun to fear losing out on getting one. I have also noted, for example, the Far and Fine model (which Orvis has had on sale for $275) was just listed this week as “unavailable” on the Orvis web site, when it was in fact available through the online Orvis catalogue just last week.

Luckily for me, the Orvis Palo Alto store special ordered me one last week which I was able to pick up at lunch time today. :D In my opinion, these are very sweet, full flexing, slower action rods perfectly suited to pursuing trout with light tippets in creeks and small/medium-sized streams or for chasing after bluegills.

Anyway, just thought you all might have wanted to know if you didn’t already. . . . By the way, I have no business affiliation with any rod retailer or Orvis in case you might be wondering.