PDA

View Full Version : Since striper flies came up

Jgoding
08-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I wanted to post a pic of the fly I've been using when I'm chasing stripe.

The material is awesome hair (all of it) in different colors blended in. The red is fly yarn, and the black is Black crystal flash. The fly is wet in the pic.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/Picture017.jpg

Darian
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi Jeff,.... Good looking fly.... 8) Similar style to an ALF. What length fly and sie hook :?: :?: Looks like it wouldn't be difficult to cast and would sink well, too. 8) 8) 8) Had any luck on it :?: :?:

Jgoding
08-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey Darian,

TMC 8089 NP with barbell eyes so it rides hook up Size #10. The fly is between 2.5" and 3" total but it looks more full bodied in the water since it doesn't collapse on itself. The colors didn't quite come out in the pic but it's mainly chartreuse over white. It does cast well too.

I've caught all my striper on that fly except for the first two I caught on a deep sheep. I've been out 7 times, and have yet to come home stinking like skunk, but I've only caught one fish over 18" (it was 28") and ldr'd another nice fish and missed another really hard strike all on that fly.

Jeff

David Lee
08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
What !! No Sili-skin ?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good !

David :D

Darian
08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Jeff,.... I'm curious about your choice of hook size. :? :? Wouldn't a larger size hook with larger barbell eyes work better on a fly of 2.5" or more :?: :?: :?: How deep do you feel this fly goes during your retrieve :?: :?: Since the barbell eyes seem to be in proportion to the hook size, they must be small, too. It seems to me that this fly doesn't get very deep.... :? :?

These fish must staying high in the water column.... 8) 8)

lee s.
08-29-2006, 08:54 PM
By the looks it is a tiemco 8089 and their #10 is quite sufficient due to the large gap. The 8089 is one of our FAV hooks as it seems finer wire yet very strong. Not good for trolling albies though. Fine for casting to albies though. :wink:
....lee s.

Darian
08-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm,.... Guess I need to amplify my questions.... No disrespect meant here, Lee, but I believe Jeff mentioned that the hook type was an 8089 NP.... A size 10 8089 hook may have a gap wide enough to hook a fish but I'm still thinking that small sized hooks/barbell eyes, tied to make the hook ride point up may not be necessary as the fly probably won't get down deep enough to come into contact with the bottom in Striper water, even using LC13.... In current (like the American), the line would certainly ride deep but this fly most likely will not reach the same depth as the line before riding up with the retrieve. Why not a size 4 or 2 or even a 1/0 hook????

I know that Jeff doesn't do things like this on a lark... SOooo,.... I'm interested in his experience (other than fish catching) with this fly..... 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Jeff,
Nice lookin bug. I've had alot of luck with something similar minus the dumbells for bonita. My buddy also got his first stripers in the salt on fly up north on one of these guys. I'll have to try the material you're using.
The slinky fiber I was using took a serious chewing from bonita and held up with minimal fouling.
I've been really happy with the Gami SC15 hooks for these guys.
-Paul
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/big_sardina.jpg

Jgoding
08-30-2006, 01:03 AM
Good questions Darian...

I used that hook because it's what I had on hand at the time. I like the 8089 and for some reason, and I have 3 packs of size 10. I do have some larger ones now but I typically like smaller hooks for some reason. I know David missed a nice fish because I used the same hook for a waker shad.... and didn't clip it down far enough..LOL

I haven't had any problems hooking up, but I've mostly been catching shakers. I think I'm using 7/16 or 5/8 dumbell eyes and the fly seems to get down ok but I'm fishing a drop off with not much current and the fly seems to get down using type 6 shooting head. I do cast it out and let the fly swing down in the current seam, but it gets down far enough when it hits the slack water.

As far as the fly riding hook up... I prefer my flies to fish this way as to maximize hooking fish in the upper jaw and not so much for not snagging bottom. I think they look better too but that's just me.

Paul, I really like the awesome hair. Similar to wing n flash but more supple and better colors. It will tangle some after a few fish but it combs out easy and is pretty durable. I usually pick it out with another fly (using the hook) if need be and it's not like all the fibers get tangled, but more like jumbled around the hook a little bit.

LOL David, no sili skin. I bought some but I like it more for wrapping nymph bodies now than trying to tie a sluggo...LOL..

Jeff

Jeff

Darian
08-30-2006, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff.... I thought you might've had a rationale for this. 8) 8)

Hey Paul,.... Interesting pattern. Kinda looks like a Night or Surf Smelt.... I've got a bunch of Olive Tuna Tux's (from my Baja trip) that might be a good substitute.... Gonna have to try 'em locally. 8) 8)