PDA

View Full Version : "HI HO SILVER..."

SullyTM
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Ending August on a high note! Did a weekend at Silver Lake and I do believe it's close to God's country! Mario's report awhile back wetted my desire to try it out and Darian's Highway 88 encouragement was icing on the cake.

With temps in the low 80's it was perfect weather...Light breezes made for nice days and calm nights.

Fishing on the other hand wasn't that productive on the lake. I was the only flyer within shouting distance and I felt at a disadvantage with all the bait folks. But no one was catching a thing so I didn't get to discouraged. Saturday evening...7-8PM I had the dam area all to myself and with fish rising I had a few hard hits, but nothing stayed on :cry:

However, my luck was much better on Silver Creek. I found several small pools which held various sized browns and rainbow. I managed to land 2 brownies. One 12" and the other 14". For me, that made my trip. My first ever brown trout...Beautiful fish (last year I thought I landed my first browns on Putah Creek, but they weren't)...I managed to land several small rainbows and brownies but they reminded me of bluegill...gobbling up everything I threw out.

Tried my luck on Oyster(?) Creek which flowed out of a pond in the Silver Lake campground. Very tight quarters...No luck, but I did loose several flies :lol:

Camping at Silver Lake was pleasant except for the gonad teenagers next to our campsite...I had to play Mr. "Do You Mind" Saturday evening as this group of youngsters had no intention of observing the 10PM rule...I did discuss their behavior with them during the day because on Friday night they decided to get crazy at 3AM...Sooo, on Saturday I wasn't so nice...

Definitely a nice end to a hectic Summer...Didn't do nearly enough fishing, but the times I did get out it was enjoyable...

Later...Thom

Ed Wahl
08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Thom, Oyster creek is a tough nut that high up. If you catch it at the hwy and trespass to get downstream it eventually opens up out in the granite wonderland. There's a fall there you have to see to believe. Let me know next time you go up that way, I've got a few spots for fishing and camping that are little used.

SullyTM
08-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Ed, tough nut indeed!!! I didn't have very good maps with me, but there seems to be water everywhere!!! According to a local newspaper the Morman Immigrant Trail road off of Hwy. 88 has a creek(?) with abundant brown trout! A weekend doesn't really do the area justice unless you know where to go! All-in-all it was a nice place to visit...

Later...Thom

Ed Wahl
08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Beware the local papers, they cater to the baitfishing crowd. Nothing against the bf'ers, but a crowds a crowd. Plenty of solitude up that way. Hah, that looks a little funny, bf'ers refers to baitfisher of course.

SullyTM
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Ed...You mean I could have been lulled into a false sense of security by the local rag? :lol: :lol:

I got alot of curious looks from the bait chuckers when I'd walk by with my fly gear...In fact one gentleman asked me why I was using a fly rod :? Nothing against the bait folks. Many of them had children fishing with them and it is a joy to see a little one get excitied about fishing...

BTW...no skeeters to speak of. So my testing of a natural lemon/eucalyptus[sic] repellant didn't get a true workout. Not that I wanted alot skeeters trying to bite me :D

Later...thom