PDA

View Full Version : New G.Loomis

Tony Buzolich
08-27-2006, 12:16 AM
I've never really thought too highly of Loomis as a rod manufacturuer. They always seemed to come across with a huge EGO attitude as being the best out there and priced all of their products with that same mentality. Yes, they are good and make some fine rods but maybe just a bit over-rated, until yesterday.

Yesterday,(maybe it was the day before?) Mike Macklin(the Loomis rep) stopped by the store and said I had to try out two of Loomis's new Streamdance GLX rods. Well, he couldn't say enough about these new rods and being the skeptic that I am I had to put them to the test right away.

I loaded up his new 6 weight with one of our demo lines and took it outside to see just how good this rod would cast. I stripped off a pile of line on the ground and proceeded put the rod to it's paces. Well, what a surprize! It shot out the entire pile of line from the ground to about 80ft. with hardly any effort at all. Yes, I'm impressed. So, I strip out the rest of the line down to the backing and give it another go. All 100 ft. of line flies straight as an arrow on my second cast, and I'm not really pushing it.

I continue for next twenty minutes playing with this new toy and am really impressed. Consistant 75-85ft casts with very little effort.

Okey, now lets go try the other rod he has for me. Another Streamdance GLX but in a 4 weight. Again I put on the demo line and take it outside to see if the first rod's casts were just a fluke on my part. NOPE! This 4 weight was casting just like the 6 weight with the same upper power. Totally effortless 60-70ft casts and with only a slight amount of muscle 80ft casts were easy. And this from a 4 weight.

After casting these two rods, I have to say I have a new respect for Loomis. These Streamdance GLX rods for this year are excellant.

Now if you can justify $620 :shock: for a trout rod, this just may be one of the best out there.
TONY
www.feather-river-fly.com

Hairstacker
08-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Tony, sounds like a great rod! As you say, maybe one of the best out there. It's interesting to contemplate opinions on just what is the best graphite trout rod out there. . . .

Many feel the best ever is one of the Scott G series. Still many others (some quite fanatical) feel it is one of the Winston IM6/WT or LT series. Quite a few devotees like the Orvis Superfine series as the best ever and, on the faster side of the spectrum, there have been quite a few votes for the Sage SLT or Winston B2X or even the faster still Sage XP. I've noted others are warming up to the newer Sage TXL and the Scott G2 as perhaps the best ever. Anyway, I'm always fascinated by how varied the preferences are. You would think the preferences are based on the varied types of water folks fish (small creeks, medium streams, large rivers, etc.) but that is surprisingly not always the case. No reflection on your post, by the way, just a thought that came to mind as I was surfing forums earlier today.

Tony Buzolich
08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
You know Mike, you're right on about what type of rod would be a favorite to some folks but might mean little to someone else.

I guess it all boils down to what works best for each of us. A guy that does a lot of saltwater stuff could care less about the best lil' 3 weight trout rod there ever was.

Believe me I'm not a Loomis advocate by any means but that lil' ol' 6 weight really got my attention, and I hardly ever use a 6 weight.
TONY

WinterrunRon
10-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Jay,

I've owned Lommis rods (conventional bass and steelhead rods and currently 3 fly rods) for years and for one overwhelming reason... their warranty.
I can't recall the exact name of the program (expeditor or something like that) but basically, if it breaks, you pay, I think, $50, they'll pay the postage and overnight you another one then you send them the broken one in the package you received the new one in (after the fact (or after your trip for that matter). Nothing like it. I don't know how they do it. Far superior warranty program than sending in your broken rod during the peak of the season only to get it back a month later after the peak of the season because the company is swamped repairing all the other rods that broke during the peak of the season...

And I don't exactly know what that GLX graphite stuff is, but it makes for the lightest rods you'll ever pick up. Glad to hear they cast well too!

Thanks for your report on the rod.

Ron