PDA

View Full Version : Death on the American .......

David Lee
08-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Yet another person drowned on Friday .

With the fall season coming fast ...... DO NOT take stupid chances -

WATCH where you wade .

DON'T take risks.

DON'T fight the current , swim DOWNSTREAM until you reach the shore .

WEAR your wading belt/lifejacket of some kind .....

Expert swimmer ?? There are NO experts when the water is 48 degrees ....

No fish is worth your life - be careful

David , who would rather chat w/ you on this board , not carry your coffin .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Amen......higher than average flows are very dangerous.

Adam Grace
08-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Was the victim a fisherman?

David Lee
08-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Was the victim a fisherman?

Nope .

Some cat out for a float - he bailed out of the boat (w/ a lifejacket on ...) , came out of the jacket , tossed it into the boat , then tried to swim to shore . Made it almost all the way in .... then , went under .

Life is short enough as it is ....... Every time I'm out on the water , I see people taking chances that they probably shouldn't - myself included . This latest drowning is a tragic waste and was preventable .

I hate to sound like anyone's Mama .... but please , be careful .

David

HC
08-27-2006, 01:34 AM
The tv news account speculated that the victim took off the PFD because it was loose fitting and so restricted his swimming ability that he tossed it back to the boat. A fatal error. All of us should periodically check in with our own swimming skills, especially in cold water. As David said no one swims well in cold water, for long. Even the strongest person will tire quickly, in cold water. A few years back my son and I took a dip in the lower Stan when our canoe hit a rock and flipped over in a class two rapid. We were both fishing and not steering. We got wet and lost some gear, but stuck with the boat and floated the swamped canoe to shore. I was amazed at how cold the water felt going in and how chilled I was after only about 10 minutes in the drink. I was lucky I only split my knee on a rock and cut my palm somehow. So now its PFD on and never get careless no matter how good the fishing is. We had to drift a while to pass through the rock garden and then maneuver the boat into a small opening in the willow lined bank. A back eddy current never looked so good. It was exhausting, hauling out on the steep bank, and wringing out, and I was pretty much tired out. Wear your PFD and do not panic, it only wastes energy. Be safe. Harley.

Flyjunkie
08-27-2006, 10:23 AM
That is Unfortunate... Mother Nature will eat you up Quickly if you but Blink...

Curious if the American has drownings the way the Main Kern seems to (below Lake Isabella)...?

As one drives up the Canyon from Bakersfield, one will see signs posted along the Canyon road stating how many folks have drowned in the River since some date (back in the Early '70s I think).. it a pretty high Number of fatalities...

However, out of a slightly Morbid curiosity, I questioned some Rangers and Fire fighters I've come across about the drownings in the River...:

Apparently most of them Happen between Memorial day & Labor Day weekends...On Weekends - when the Crowds descend upon the River.. Most are just Folks visting to relax along the Banks, Not Anglers, Kayakers, Rapid Runners, etc..... Here's the Kicker : Alot of the Drownings involved the "victim" having been drinking Alcohol in great quantities... :?
The Victims seem to consume abit too much "Liquid Courage" and attempt certain stretches that a sober person would stay clear of...

Just Wondering if there is the same collation of Drinking versus Drowning on the American????

Mind You, I'm not saying the Person who drowned recently in the American was drinking too much.. just wondering if this Problem happens up there as well...

That is very Unfortunate about the Man... and Dave Nailed it on the Head about staying alert and Playing it safe when on the River.....

DEAN ~ 8) 8)

Wednesday Caster
08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Guys, thanks for the reminder to be careful and prepared (and to use a little common sense).
Sad that he/she had a PFD (fitting or not) but ditched it.