PDA

View Full Version : Cairnton Rods-History ?

Rickey Noel Mitchell
08-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Cairnton Rods-History ?

I was just giving one of these rods it has two different tips.
any body know anything about them.
Rickey.
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight

bigtj
08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
I used to sell them when I worked at the Great Pacific Iron Works in Ventura in the late 1980's. I seem to remember they were associated with another rod manufacturer that was fairly well know, like lamiglas, but I can't remember for sure. The rods at that time were mid to higher range price and had pretty nice reel seats, actions etc. That name may have been used on a couple other rod lines since or before that time. To my knowledge though Cairnton rods have never been hugely succesful.

Not a lot of useful information sorry it's been many, many years!

Darian
08-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Ricky,.... From what I've been able to determine, Cairnton rods are manufactured by Talon Products in Woodland Wash. They come in fresh/salt water, 3 piece models.

Two handed Cairnton's are, apparently, used in Australia more than here. They are made of a graphite composite, have a "teal finish" and windings, oversize guides. Cairnton's may be bought fully completed or as blanks.

Here's a website to try: www.talon-graphite.com/ .

Hope this helps.... 8) 8) 8)

bigtj
08-24-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the talon-made rods are different than the ones I mentioned, just have the same name.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Many thanks , Bigtj and Darian. sure enough Cairnton rods were made by Talon, I think. The rod that I was given has two tips , a 6wt and a7wt. It's brown in color and it does looks and behaves like a lamiglas.

bigtj
08-28-2006, 05:48 PM
My previous comment was wrong...talon it is. Been a long time for those cobwebs to collect up there! I remember now the multi-tip concept that was pretty cool at the time.

Now go out and fish it!

Best,

-John