PDA

View Full Version : Big Fly Swap?

PaulC
08-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey Guys,
I posted a link on the bulla board about maybe doing a big fly swap.
Thought maybe we could make this one a multi-board swap.
I know Dean aka flyjunkie from our parts expressed some interest.
Thought it could be fun to tye some flies in the 3/0 to 6/0 range.
Let me know if there is any interest as I have some 6/0 hooks burning a hole in my pocket and time on my hands.
-Paul

Darian
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Paul,.... Count me in for this swap. Haven't decided what pattern, yet. Are double hooked patterns OK :?: :?: :?: I'll check in on Bulla's board for additionl info, too. 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey Darian,
Tandem patterns are fine. That's what Dean will be tying.
I'll put you on the list and post a copy of it over here later today.
I haven't been online much lately. Took a pounding yesterday going to catalina again. Like skiing double black diamond moguls for an hour and a half each way. Bonita are everywhere and coming closer to shore.
The party boats are decimating the populations though:(
-Paul

PaulC
08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
The current list of tyers is:
Darian from Kiene's: TBD tandem pattern
David from Kiene's: Surprise pattern
Dean: A tandem "Freaky Eye" Fly
Brad: Some 3/0 Tres Generations
Myself: Something TBD in 6/0. Going to mess around with patterns and materials and pick the best.

BTW. Thanks to Darian for his recommendation on the Innovative Saltwater Flies book. Definitely a great reference on different pattern techniques.

Still room for a couple more tyers...
-Paul

Darian
08-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Paul,.... Saw your post about the why of keeping 40 Bonito.... I certainly agree. They aren't the best eating fish I ever encountered. :lol: :lol: Great fighters, tho. Maybe party boat captains feel they have to give their customers something for their dollars.... :? :? When Bonito finally go the way of the Sardines in SoCal did, for forty years, people will take better care of the resource (altho, I doubt it....).

I'm lookin' to tie a sailfish pattern for the swap. The only debate is to popper to not to popper.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaulC
08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Guess I forgot to post the due date. Halloween. Plenty of time for tying/experimentation. Doubt anyone has a trip before then.

Hey Darian,
No kidding on the bonita. Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.
Bummer for the fishery. And we have misguided things like MLPA on the way. Yahoo!
Reduce limits, conserve, don't make things offlimits.
-Paul

David Lee
08-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.

What a shithead .

David (sorry .......) :twisted:

Flyjunkie
08-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.

What a shithead .

David (sorry .......) :twisted:

My thoughts Exactly DAVE... That Sh*thead will continue to Kill his Limit Every time he's out...then when the Fishery isn't red Hot anymore, He'll be the first to Complain about it....

"Limit Your Kill, Don't Kill Your Limit"

(the scary thing is those Folks can't put 2 & 2 together to realize they are a part of the Problem..)

Yeah He's a Sh*thead Alright....

DEAN ~ ~~ 8) 8)

Darian
08-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Hmmmm,.... Perhaps we aren't giving enough credit to the organization that is REALLY responsible for the sentiment behind the statement, "because I can". Looking beyond the obvious implications of that statement, that individual was not doing anything illegal. Therein lies the problem. :( :( :( Bag limits are very liberal; considering the state of our fisheries. Just speculation but, maybe limits should be based on/set at what is reasonable for a person to take and use in a given period of time....(???) Lots of imponderables here but this dialogue needs to happen.

CA DFG has the power to recommend/set limits thru the regulatory process. As Paul points out, we need to limit our kill to conserve the resource. They (DFG) really haven't done much to update limits for ocean fish. The evidence of this is the (alleged) need to establish MLPA's, the need for slot limits for Stripers and other species. Emergency reg's to protect one marine/anadromous species after another. :? :? :? On the opposite point, it's not realistic to assume that zero bag limits are the solution. Besides, I still like to keep a fish for the table on occassion....

As a group, we should be supporting groups that lobby for reduced bag and/or slot limits based on ACTUAL science; not political agendas (witness Cogdills AB-7 in last years state legislative session). :? :? :?

PaulC
08-30-2006, 12:18 AM
These guys are fighting against it down south.
http://www.unitedanglers.com/news.php

I would hope there is a group pushing similar tactics up north with pressure for slot limits and reduced bag limits.
With party boats having 20+ anglers taking, the current limits are a joke.
-Paul

Hairstacker
08-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Darian, I agree with you, CA DFG needs to do something that makes sense in both the short and longterm. In the mean time, David and Dean are right, that guy is still a sh*th**d. Or to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just needs to be enlightened to the fact we all need to take personal responsibility for conserving our fishery resources, regardless of limits. :?

Flyjunkie
08-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Back to the Original Subject of this thread (thought I agree with the Views posted by everyone here on Regs and Such)

I just received the package of the "Freaky Eyes" for the tandem patterns I'm tying up... Abit smaller then i'm used to, but they'll be Fine...

Actually since the Swap isn't due until the End of October, i could just place another Order of the same colours in the next two larger sizes... :?:

Yeah, that's what I'll do.... :wink:

Anyone care to see what these "Freaky Eyes" look like??? I could attempt to photograph them & post the Picture.... :wink:

DEAN ~~~ ~ 8) 8)

Darian
08-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi Dean,.... I'd kinda like to see 'em.... (if it's not too much hassle :? :? )

Flyjunkie
09-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Dean,.... I'd kinda like to see 'em.... (if it's not too much hassle :? :? )

DARIAN,

Here You go.......
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Flyjunkie/FreakyEyes1.jpg

They are known as Oval Acrylic Doll eyes, most of them are the 8mm ones I received the other day.. the bigger ones (which for some bizarre reason I have 3 left?!?!?) are 10 mm, apparently.
"We" call them Freaky Eyes, because Ken L., the Junior Partner of the Shop, said they freaked him abit when looking at them on the tandem Flies I gave him for Christmas island Trevally.. too damn much like Human Eyes.. :wink:

They are pretty cool looking, and they hold up well to Toothy Fishys...

DEAN ~ ~~ 8) 8)

David Lee
09-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Those ARE disturbing ........

I get where you're goin' - scare the fight outta them fishes !!

David :nod:

Darian
09-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Woooooooo,.... After tying with those for a lengthy session, I'd have to check into rehab :shock: :shock: :shock: Can't wait to see them on a fly.... You sending them in a plain brown paper bag :?: :?: :?: :?:

Flyjunkie
09-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Woooooooo,.... After tying with those for a lengthy session, I'd have to check into rehab :shock: :shock: :shock: Can't wait to see them on a fly.... You sending them in a plain brown paper bag :?: :?: :?: :?:

DARIAN,
Told you they were F :shock: R :shock: E :shock: A :shock: K :shock: Y :shock:

Want some to tye with???? :wink:

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)

Darian
09-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure I'd know what to do with 'em :? :? :? While out antiquing, yesterday, I saw a ring with a freaky eye as the main setting.... It was really strange. :eek: :eek:

I'll wait to see one of yours before making any decisions.... 8) 8) 8)

Darian
09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Paul,.... Do we need to make toe tags or a written description of the pattern or both :?: :?: :?:

Flyjunkie
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Paul,.... Do we need to make toe tags or a written description of the pattern or both :?: :?: :?:

I'm thinkin' we should do a Toe tag per fly And email Paul the Dressing for our patterns... I always keep the Swap flies as reference and tye my own for fishing... Hopefully thats Cool with everyone....

DEAN ~~ 8) 8)

PaulC
09-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I think a materials list is way cool. Toe tags with flies this large should be a piece of cake. You could probably use a post it note. lol.
I'll of course photo the patterns, etc.
-Paul

Flyjunkie
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Here's even More Freaky Eyes.....

http://glasseyes.com

These are really expensive, but are made for Museums and such...

They certainly are FREAKY :shock:

DEAN ~~~ 8) 8)

Darian
09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Paul,.... Flies are in the mail, today. 8) 8) Toe Tags, pattern description and a pp'd return envelope included. :) :)

The pattern is my variation of the established "Mexican Flag" pattern. Had a little trouble getting the proportions semi-correct. Since I rarely tie anything this big, I had a little trouble with that part (....still not completely satisfied, tho :? :? ) One of the good parts about tying in this size and style is that the fly may trimmed extensivley to make it more transluscent, etc. 8) 8)

Gotta admit, I wouldn't want to tie flies this size a lot. :roll: :roll:

PaulC
09-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Hey Darian,
At least you don't have to tye with a set of mageyes! lol.
Looking forward to the bugs and i'm up to my ears in work and synthetics at the vise in my spare time.
Definitely beats a size 24 stillborn bwo.....
-Paul

Darian
09-16-2006, 01:57 AM
How do you know that a size 24 fly is stillborn :?: :?: :roll: :roll: I can't even see anything that small. :lol: :lol:

PaulC
01-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Here's a pic of the flies so far. This swap is definitely a bit late, but still produced some fun bugs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/salt_swap_07.jpg

(A) FPF fly (myself)
(B) Black profile fly on a jig hook (David from Kiene's)
(C) Blue foam head on a 6/0 (myself)
(D)Mexican flag variation (Darian from Kiene's)
(E) Nice Baitfish imitation (David from Kiene's)
(F) Olive foam head on a 6/0 (myself)

Still waiting on one more set and we're done.
Definitely was fun messing around with some larger hooks.
-Paul

David Lee
01-25-2007, 12:42 AM
(B) is a mod of John Shewey's Black Bonsai - size 3/0 -

(E) is a 4/0 , 4XL Bucktail Deceiver , ALA Bob Popovics -

I screwed the pooch and forgot the toe-tags .... sorry !!

I'd guess they're all a bitch to chuck on an 8 wt. !! :eek:

Thank you again Paul for hosting , you're a prince =D>

David :D

Darian
02-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Received the flies from the swap, today. 8) 8) I forgot how big these flies were going to be. :shock: :shock: Not sure, but it'd probably take a 12 weight or above to cast one of these flies... 8)

David and Paul's flies are reallly well tied and should produce in Baja. 8) 8)

Thanks to Paul for Hosting. :D :D :D

David Lee
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Mine just showed , as well .....

Pretty big flies is an understatement - these are HUUUGGGGGEEEE !! Very nice ties , also . Thanks to Paul for hosting !!!

Time to rig the 10 wt. w/ thirty feet of LC-13 and get back out to Seco :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

David :D

PaulC
02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Glad the flies made it to you guys. I'll bring up the spares if the other tyer's flies don't show up before my trip north on the 17th.
I know I'll be giving these a shot for makos in June and am sending some foam heads to a friend for some striper action in the bay.
Looking forward to the trip north and hope to meet both you guys in person.
-Paul

PaulC
02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Here's the last set that came in yesterday from SaltFly.
Definitely some nice Tres Generations'!
These things just scream yellowtail in SD in the summer or that big mo striper milling around in the bay.
Darian & David - I'll bring your bugs up north with me if thats cool. Saves me a trip to the post office.
-Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/tres.jpg

Darian
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Paul,.... Those flies look very good. :) What's the plan for the 17th :?: :?: Are you Striper fishin' :?: :?: :?:

PaulC
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Honestly was just planning on messing around on the American while I'm out there. Been honestly years since the last time I was on that piece of water. I should be up there from the 16th leaving on the morning of the 19th. I have a casting lesson with Jeff at some point on the 18th.
-Paul

Darian
02-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Paul delivered some very well tied flies from saltfly (our own Brad Blancett) in person on Friday PM. These flies, tied for saltwater fishing, have a lot of potential for Black Bass/Stripers..... Can't wait to try the red headed version in the delta.... Now, if I can just get my outboard repaired.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks to Brad for the flies and Paul for the delivery service. 8) 8)

Brad Blancett
03-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Just received mine from the swap a few days ago. Nice flies Guys !!