PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon

Ed Wahl
08-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Fished the Rubicon and a trib on Sunday. Big water year is paying off now, streams in that area are still fishing very well. Caught many 'bows and browns. Even with the vehicle closure at the bridge litter is still a problem there. Gonna have to arrange another litter pickup and fishing day this year. People are really starting to piss me off. :x

Chris V
08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I was up there twice in the past month fishing with Nightgoat. The first day was mainly drys and droppers with about a 50/50 dry to dropper ratio. The second day was about 99% dropper & 1% dry, but we still managed a fair number of beautiful little wild fish each. I would have tried nymphing, but it's kinda tough with my 3wt :D

As far as people- the last time we were there, there were several people down by the river with vehicles camping as well as several dirt bikes ignoring the signs and riding the dirt roads and trails. :x All this with the road supposedly closed.

While we were rigging up a ranger came down the road & started writing tickets. By the time we were done (several hours later), another ranger was posted up down by the river and people were walking out- unfortunately they left allot of their garbage behind. :x

nightgoat
08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Hopefully word will get out that the rangers are enforcing the road closure. That should deter the idiots that insist on driving down there and leaving all their crap behind. :\

Count me in for Clean-Up / Fishing day. :D

Ed Wahl
08-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately the hiking trail that goes upstream is open to motorized vehicles. It's hard to believe I know, but I've been over this with the Forest Service several times. It seems that the Hunter Trail has been a motorized trail for years, but they were shut out years ago to protect an arch. site. I had a meeting with them about a month ago to discuss the trail designation process that caused all the road closures. Apparantly the decision makers have already decided to keep it open, but they did record my objections to it. He did leave one thing hanging though, he said they have been getting a lot of user conflicts on that trail, meaning people are complaining about the noise,dust, and trail degradation from motorcycles. That might be the only way to change things, so feel free to complain to the Forest Service. As for my evening of fishing, a size 10 bead head Prince Nymph was the hot ticket. Tried dries, and a hopper, which did hook the biggest, but no more after that. Went back to the Prince action got fast again. Gotta love that river.

Paul B.
08-24-2006, 02:23 AM
ll

Ed Wahl
08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I think if you can muscle a motorcycle up that trail then you can easily walk it. If you're referring to quads, the trail is way too narrow for them. I'm in total agreement with you on the reporting of abusers though, but it really does only take one to seriously degrade the trail, zip up around a blowdown and there's a new erosion channel for this winter. What's your favorite pattern for that river, I've started asking that of others up there the past couple years. Funny thing, everyone has a different favorite and compelling reasons for it. I'm no different.

Rob
08-25-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm with you Ed !!
That trail is way too thin for a motorcycle !!! :cry:
Like you said it's a easy hike. :)

Chris V
08-28-2006, 01:11 PM
OTHERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THEM AS DESIGNATED!

I guess I agree with you- problem is- the people were riding the trail despite the obvious signs telling them the trail was closed. I'm guessing if they closed it- they did it for a reason. Perhapse all of the trash people are leaving behind had something to do with it? :x

Paul B.
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I supose this is the wrong fourm for arguing such a point. I hope my response wasn't too strong Ed. It's been many years since I rode dirt bikes but I am sure that bunch is still it's own worst enemy. There are morons in every crowd. It's a shame the rest of us loose out. Paul