PDA

View Full Version : Kauai Trip

PaulC
08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey Folks,
Here's a repost from the bulla board. Thought it might be of interest if anyone is heading out there for a family vacation.
-Paul

Hey Guys,
Just got back a couple days ago from Kauai. I was mainly out there on a vacation with my wife prior to our son's arrival.
However, I did get permission to bring rods with me on the trip. Since the goal of this trip was vacation for both of us, my fishing time was pretty limited.

We were staying on the north shore at the sealodge resort.
Nice lodge with condos and a bbq so you can make your own meals. Ahi is cheap out there (~10 bucks a meal for both of us), so we were loving it.
The Sealodge overlooks parts of anini beach to the east, which is probably my favorite beach out there.
Its also one of the few flats sections on the island.

Fishing out there was difficult to say the least.
Tradewinds howling from east to west with me fishing the north shore.
The good thing about anini beach and the other reef flats is that one can wade out and get the wind to your back for the most part.
On average, I saw 4-5 bones a day.
I usually saw a few trevally maurading the shore, but with deep sandy areas not very long, their stay was short.
The bonefish sighted were probably around 3-4 pounds on average size, with the occasional 10+ lber sighted each day.
You're looking for an olive back, a swirl, or a tail sticking out.
They tend to hug the sand/reef lines and spook easily when too close.

I went out guided one day with a fellow named Nigel who guides the area.
Definitely a cool younger guy just out of high school who has been fishing that area for a while.
His contact info is 808-652-9038 should you be out that way.
He ties some of the sickest crab patterns i've seen.
I wish I had taken some pictures of them.

On the day with Nigel, we saw some good schools of bonefish sighting maybe 12 that day.
No fish would bite, but got plenty of follows then refusals.
Sighting fish among the coral, sand, numerous colors makes corbina sighting look like a walk in the park.

The following days I continued hitting different sections of anini on my own. Snorkeling looking for structure, etc.
I only had about 3 hours each morning before my time was up.
Each day I had at least a couple follows, and a bunch of spookings.
Once the fish starts moving laterally at a faster rate, game over.
One day I came up on one section where a deep trough met a sandy flat and there was a big boy pushing 3 ft sitting there.
Cast, try to lead, wind picks up and the bug lands right on his noggin. Gone....

The last day I did manage to get one grab and then the fish threw it.
It took a baby goatfish clouser with bright yellow angel hair for the lateral line (size 8 hook).

So....the long and the short of it is no hookups but fish sighted.
I didn't spend time fishing the reef structure randomly and only occasionally hook up with cornet fish while casting to a bone.
Had one trevally throw a popper on my one shot over a deep pool near open ocean.

Overall, a great vacation.
Tried out the wpi underwater and loved it.
Tried out the Scientific Anglers floating saltwater line
and it casted great despite the tradewinds.
It floated like a champ the whole trip.
I fished the bite shoes all over coral, reef, sand, surf, etc.
Even hiked some muddy trails in them and they worked awesome. Not much wear and tear despite the abrasive environment.

If you're looking for something more madenning than corbina...I think fishing for bones on Kauai takes the cake.
Here's some pictures:
-Paul

Watching&Waiting , Another sandy flat, one spot bones frequented
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hi_c1.jpg

Coral, Trevally, Adult Goatfish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hi_c2.jpg

Funky fish, trigger, moonfish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hi_c3.jpg

Corbina patrol at the Q, Sunrise at Sealodge, Waimea canyon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hi_c4.jpg

PaulC
08-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I forgot to add the most important part...lessons learned for the future soul who continues this quest.

Leader: Straight 12 lb on the light end up to 20lb. Your line can get ripped through coral heads and light line won't survive. Even without fish hookups I noticed abrasion on the 12lb line after a couple hours.

Weight: 1/8 dumbells at the heaviest. I forgot beadchain eyes so could only tye those. Unweighted flies are also a plus.

Fly types: Baby goatfish patterns (think small clousers), small shrimp patterns like razzlers, big crab patterns swimming sideways. Nigel said they just crushed those even bending the hook down one time.
They did follow mole crab merkins tho. I didn't have any sideways crab patterns.
Unweighted flies on the size 8 to 10 with material tyed to force hook point up.

Line wise: Floating to stay off the shallow structure in spots when casting over it to get to a holding zone. I was really stoked on the sci anglers line.

Rod wt: 8 to 10. I think I would have been undergunned on one of those bigger fish on my 6wt.

Polarized glasses are a must and even with them sighting is hard.

Walk slowly to not make much noise.
Don't stare at the fish straight on for long periods of time. Nigel mentioned the fish spook off your glasses.
Try to avoid hunching looking like you are throwing a dip net.
Don't waste time casting to a fish moving at a faster rate of speed away. Its done.
Minimize false casting as they spook off that also.

Drink of choice after getting tormented for 3 hours: zombie

Beer of choice for every reason possible: Keoki sunrise

Food of choice for winding down: Macadamia nut crusted ahi steaks soaked briefly in freshly squeezed pineapple juice with a dash of pepper and garlic.

Spectator activity of choice: Chicken wars in the back lawn instigated by pineapple chunks while drinking a beer of choice.

David Lee
08-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Well ....... at least you got out !

Never fear , you'll get 'em next time . When's the new fisherperson due ?? When will you be going back to BAJA :evil: :evil: :evil: ???

We should shoot for a group outing doing the surf @ East Cape in a year or two ..... :idea:

David :D

PaulC
08-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey David,
No kidding. I'd take a bonefish skunking out there any day. Can't say I didn't give it my best. 11 days....3 hours a day...its all I had.
Little one is due in early December timeframe (right on a steelhead trip planned last year. lol) Luckily a friend is picking up my slack so no worries.
Honestly not too sure when I can go to Baja next. Alot of things up in the air with the little guy on the way. We'll have to see where the dust settles.
Definitely would love to get out there again.
It would surely be fun to have a group outing out there and fish with some of you guys.
Worst case, maybe I can get a weekend pass for some steelheading on the american. Didn't make it out there last year.
-Paul

mems
08-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Aloha Paul, too bad you got skunked. I should have sent you some Oama flies. Nex time you get chased, speed up and piss them off. I used to get lots of follows, until I learned to get em mad! Here is an omilu, bluefinned trevally I got today on the oama fly. It was great fried up for dinner.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/DSC02625.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Top guide...........

http://www.bonefishkauai.com/