PDA

View Full Version : Flies for Mokelumne near Salt Springs Reservoir....

Fuzz
08-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Campout at Mokelumne River (Moore Creek) near Salt Springs Reservoir next week. Dad is bringing his 7.5 ft. 4 wt and 9 ft. 5 wt. to give me some intro lessons. I've got 4 questions:

1) If you could only take 5 flies what would you choose (please give name, color, and size). I hope to stop at Fly shop on the way up and get them. Dad says he has lots of flies but I wanted to bring some based on your recommendations.

2) I built an aquatic seine out of aluminum screen door screen (30" high, 36" wide) and will do some sampling. Is there a guidebook to aquatic invertebrates for fly fishers that you recommend? (something small that fits in a pocket).

3) Would 7.5' 4X be the right tapered leader for 7.5' 4 wt. rod? (I know the numbers are the same but 4X is about right for trout in this type of stream?)

4) Is flourocarbon tippet the way to go? Should I get a 6' tapered leader and add 18" of flouro tippet?

I want to take the right stuff cause its a LONG drive to the fly shop from Moore creek campground. Thanks for your help!!!

Fuzz

FishFiend
08-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I think one of the best books for fly fishing entomolgy is Fish Food. Here is a link toi the authors site. As for the other stuff I can't really be of much help.

http://www.flyline.com/

Good Luck!

Hewie
08-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmm, six flies. Here are my favorite six patterns no matter where I'm going, but I'm going to cheat because I'm recommending more than one size per pattern.

Parachute Adams (12-16)
Tan EH Caddis (12-16)
Yellow Humpy (14, then 12 and 16)
GR Hares Ear (12-16)
PT Nymph (12-18 )
Birds Nest (12-16)

Its hard to leave off a black wolly bugger sz 10 and a hopper pattern, but that's six. Put those 6 in a box and you're good to go most anywhere in the west.
Dave

PS. Oops, thought you said six, oh well.