PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on where to fish & camp

haftfish
08-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm fairly new to Sacramento. Any suggestions on places to fish which have nearby camping (preferably within 100 miles of Sac)? I'm planning a trip in mid-September.

Matt Frey
08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
There are countless places that fit your criteria. In that regard, we are very fortunate living in Northern California. I would recommend picking up a couple of books. There are a number of good books out there. Ken Hanley’s No Nonsense Guide to Fly Fishing in Northern California, has some good (simplified) maps and brief descriptions, as well as Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region by Stephen Rider Haggard.

I hope you have a fun trip. Good luck and Tight Lines!

haftfish
08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks! I'll certainly try to find the books.

Ed Wahl
08-16-2006, 11:15 PM
One more book you'll need is the Delorme map book for Northern California. Places will start jumping out at you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Mid-September is kind of the beginning of the Fall fishing season.

For younger, healthy people I would recommend the Pit River because it is the best time to hit the big Isonychia mayfly hatch. The wading is pretty difficult for anyone who is older or not in shape though.

Flyjunkie
08-17-2006, 10:11 AM
One more book you'll need is the Delorme map book for Northern California. Places will start jumping out at you.

I agree ED.. my Delorme is dog eared, coffee stained and has alot of Penciled in notes and Markings thru out it's pages... a Must Have in any Serious Angler's arsenal... :wink:

DEAN ~ 8) 8)

Matt Frey
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I couldnt agree more about the Delorme. It is a MUST have.

2short
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Mid July I made a trip to the beautiful N fork American River. if you are in good hiking shape I don't think there are many places as close to the Sac area that offer such beautiful surroundings and solitude, its the hike, many easier places to get to. It's only about an hours drive from Sac up I-80 and the road is paved the entire way to most trail heads.

If fishing, hiking, and camping are your cup-of-tea then purchasing the Foghorn Outdoors "California Hiking" book, it lists 1000's of trails, makes a great companion to the Delorme map book for Northern California. Just find the watershed you're interested in and then cross refrence it in the hiking book to find trails that will get you there.
Good luck!
Earl