PDA

View Full Version : Props to KD for.......

k.hanley
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
meeting a benchmark in the Delta. Since I've been on the road, I wasn't sure if you folks had heard about his great catch (made a few days ago)? KD nailed a 10+ pound LM with topwater tactics. That's a huge accomplishment! This wasn't targeting a spawning female, but rather targeting summer feeders. A rare topwater gem. Excellent job.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I can't imagine that size large mouth black bass and on a fly rod and on top. I wish I would have been there to see it.

I hope some of the bass/panfish fly fishers here can get out with Kevin Doran for a little top water seminar in his boat in the Delta.

Andy Guibord and I were very lucky to get out for an entire day with Kevin. We are both very pumped up about the prospect of top water bassing from here on out. Kevin got us jump started but we still have tons to learn.

Andy has been down there a number of times sense and has had some good fishing.

k.hanley
08-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Say Hey Bill,
Keep an eye out for the Delta Largemouth feature coming out in Fly Fisherman Magazine (I believe it's slated for their spring issue). KD, John Sherman, and I have been working on the article (and photo support) for the past two years. It will be a terrific resource for anyone getting into this topwater Delta game.
Cheers, Ken

Hairstacker
08-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Kevin's fish makes me think maybe I should be carrying a heavier rod on the kayak. :lol: Just awesome!! 8) 8) 8)

Big Dave
08-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Time for me to check in on this one !

What an absolute thrill to be on-board with Kevin when this fantastic event occurred. One thing that really made this catch stand out so much more besides the size is the fact that this was an execution of a specific plan. Every time I go out with him we will talk about the conditions in all aspects. I had one particular place I suggested we start fishing at this day but he was adamant that we started at this one spot. "Dave Im telling ya , I just know this place is holding some BIG fish" Famous last words !

I usually miss some takes when fishing with Kevin because Im so caught up with what he's doing with his fly. Fortunately , this was one of those times. Watching his line instead of mine , I saw the initial blow-up and just froze. I stood there motionless watching this happpening. Sometimes I'll take the quick shot at the fish if Im in position. Not on this one. Kevin played it perfectly and this big pig came right back on it with authority. ( insert all of the usual explicatives here !!! ) Frantically , I begin to get in position for the assist. ( ...PLEASE God , dont let me screw up !... ) Got my hand on the lip of this beautiful beast and got her over the side. What an emotional rush ! How lucky I was to be standing there on Kevins boat holding this big gal of his in my hands !!! It was also great to see Kevin so absolutely thrilled. After all the years and years of fishing , all the fish caught , watching others catching and having fun , the passion is still strong with him.

I do have to apologize for the quality of my photos. My only excuse is that I was so overcome with emotion , I was shaking inside and could barely focus on taking the proper shots.

Dave

Matt Frey
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Where can I see a picture of this beast?

Adam Grace
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Post a picture using photobucket. I wanna see this beast as well!