PDA

View Full Version : help with striper flies

Dustin Revel
08-14-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm going on a striper trip with a friend on the lower sac, and started tying a few flies.

C&C please. How is the color selection? Should i try some bigger or smaller? any other patterns I should try? any fly in particular i should focus on.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/DustinRevel/srtipers/srtiperflies.jpg

any info is appreciated.
Dustin revel

nightgoat
08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey Dustin, good lookin' flies. I've only fished the American, Feather and Delta for stripers, but most of my success has been with chartreuse/white clousers and whistlers on 1/0 hooks. I like the Whistler's when the waters a little murky cause they push a lot of water. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Tony Buzolich
08-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Nice ties but think bigger. Those top two flies look large enough but the rest seem small. Great ties, all of them, but they should be about 4" to 6"and tied on a good 3/0-4/0 hook.

I absolutely love stripers because of their aggressiveness and they will try and eat anything they think they can get in their mouth. I've got a picture on my website of one that is only 6"-7" long that ate a 3/0 Whistler.

If the water is really clear, like on the American or others, try and make a few very natural looking. Eyes are always good.
TONY
www.feather-river-fly.com

lee s.
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Dustin,
I REALLY like the top right corner and the lower left corner. Many swear by the clousers you show. That upper right looks like it will "PUSH" a lot of water......always a good thing when chasing predators. :wink:
David Lee ties a silicone head bug that pushes real well too. 8)
....lee s.

David Lee
08-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Dustin -

Every one of those will fish fine . When in doubt ...... throw a chart/white Clouser or a white/peacock backed Deceiver .

David

PS - Strip HARD and FAST ..... w/ lots of pauses .

Adam Grace
08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Dustin, try extending the top wing of your clouser hair (the chartreuse hair) further than the white belly hair about .5 to 1" to give the clouser a better profile.

Dustin Revel
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
thanks for the tips. i will post a report later this week.
dusty revel