PDA

View Full Version : Close Call....!!!!

Darian
08-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Last night, my son took the boat out with a friend to fish for Catfish on the Sacramento around the Freeport area. 8) They anchored and set up for some fishing. During the evening, he decided to stand at the same time his buddy moved from one side of the boat to the other. Of course, the center of balance shifted, sent my son lurching and over the side into the darkness/current. :shock: :shock:

He didn't tell me how he caught hold of something on the boat but, fortunately, he did. The next issue/problem was how to get back into the boat. My son's friend is much smaller in stature than my son but thought he might be able to assist by pulling him over the side. Thankfully, one of 'em observed that they were tipping the boat and stopped. My son pulled himself over the transom (the outbaord was not running). 8) 8) Again thankfully, water temp's were relatively warm so hypothermia didn't become an issue. 8) 8) Neither my son or his buddy was wearing their PFD's, at the time.

This is an example of how things can go wrong in nothing flat but had a happy ending. If it weren't so frightening, it would've been hilarious. :? :? :?

Hairstacker
08-12-2006, 08:24 PM
That is scary, thank goodness he was ok. I haven't fallen overboard in over 30 years but I still wear a PFD each and every time I go out, regardless of the type of water. You just never know. . . .

alaskamokaiman
02-05-2007, 12:26 AM
[-X [-X[-X [-X ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS (sorry to yell) wear tour PFD. We could be reading a very bad story about if only. I have saved 5 people in the last 7 years without PFD's and pulled 2 that never fished again.
Since we are on the subject did you know that when a drunk drowns you have little chance of reviving them. Save the beer for the shore and have a safe time.

Darian
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
You're preaching to the choir here.... :D I'm a confirmed user of PFD's. They're so handy and comfortable to wear nowdays that I just keep mine on all the time. 8) 8) I've added a rope ladder to the transom (too small for a fixed ladder) and picked up one of the throw lines with a float to cast/reach out if necessary.

Interestingly, my son hasn't taken the boat out since that accident happened.... Guess he's a little gun shy, now.... 8) 8)

SullyTM
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Darian...You're right about wearing PFD. I recently purchased a Hairstacker inflatable kayak and even though I haven't used it beyond my neighborhood ponds, I still wear a flotation devise. After a few outing I got used to it and I wouldn't leave home without it.

Later...thom

davkrat
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
The new paddling style PFDs are what we wear at work. You have so much movement in your arms that there really is no reason not to wear one. Everyone who is on a boat should know hwo to do some sort of emergency rescue. If you ever find yourself in that situation without a ladder take one of your bow ropes or anchor rope and just tie a loop in it like a stirrup that will hang a comfortable distance over the edge for a person to get their foot in. You don't know how hard it is to climb into a boat until you are forced to. It can be real hard and in the dark and with cold water really dangerous :shock:

Hairstacker
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey, I like that stirrup-rope-loop idea. That's a great tip, thanks!!

davkrat
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
It's saved my butt before. One or two failed attempts at getting back in a boat and you start to get exhausted real fast. As you get more and more of your body out of the water you just get heavier and heavier without your feet pushing it gets real tough.