PDA

View Full Version : Delta 8-12-06

Hairstacker
08-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Fished the Delta this morning for a few hours out of the inflatable kayak. Very nice day with mild temperatures and only slightly breezy. Targeted an area isolated from motored boats and picked up a 1/2 dozen, including this 23" long, 5 1/2 lber (measured on a Stanley tape measure and weighed on a Berkely digital scale, in case you were wondering :lol: ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/5andhalfbass2.jpg

For some reason, the camera makes 'em kind of pink when I photograph them next to the red kayak but, rest assured, she was a completely normal color. Caught her on this: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/5andhalfbass1.jpg

Very similar to the fly I used last weekend, but this one has black rooster feathers and black Krystal Flash for a tail, rather than black ostrich herl. It fished great! Another fun and therapeutic day on the Delta, you just gotta love the place! :)

Darian
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
WOW!!! You can actually see the tonsils on that guy :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JerryInLodi
08-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Hairstacker, my b-i-l and I were out today as well but the biggest fish we caught were about nine inches but we caught lots of them. I fished a gurgler in black, black and chartreuse, green and chartreuse and never really got a good fish to go after them.

My b-i-l got tired of fishing the popper for such small fish and switched to a #2 red/black hackle wooly bugger. Amazingly, he pounded the fish but again, all small.

I tried to peer down the throats of the fish I caught but they were way too small to see tonsils!

Your fish is awesome! I think that if you would have missed it rather than have landed it, it would have gained about three pounds. Mine did!

mikenewman
08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Great fish, Mike. Bet it's the toxic algae turning 'em red :nod:

jbird
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Mike

That is a totally awesome specimen! You are da-man!

Thanks for sharing :)

Jay

Adam Grace
08-13-2006, 12:18 AM
That's what I call a BASS :thumbsup:

Rickey Noel Mitchell
08-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey Mike , good looking fish and fly. I'd trade the bunch I caught the other day for that momma. I not coming back to the Delta without black Dalhbergs or olive and yellow for that matter. I think the olive and yellow would match the bluegills more but a bass looking up would see that black Dalhberg a lot quicker. Any thoughts guys? Hey Mike , the Delta hld unlimited possibilities for a kayak fishermen. I've seen a ton of places where you can go that a boat can't. I don't just work the edges of grass beds anymore I fish right on top of them.

MSP
08-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Very nice fish Mike! Keep those reports coming.

David Lee
08-15-2006, 12:19 AM
5 1/2 lbs. , YES !!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

David :)

Katz
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
What do you think she would have weighted just before spawn?

Kraig

Hairstacker
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Katz, that's a very good question, but I have no idea how big she would have been pre-spawn. I wondered about that myself because she was skinny for her length. Ah well, they are what they are when you catch 'em. It was very exciting when I got my first glance of her right after I hooked up about 20' away. Especially, since she just gently slurped the bug in, and I had no idea what I had hooked until that first glance. Hopefully, she'll fatten up before I catch her again. :nod:

By the way, the photos don't really do her justice. To give you a sense of scale, that's a size 2, 3 3/4"-long, deerhair diver in her mouth. 'Course, she wouldn't have looked as good next to that 12+ lb behemoth that Kevin Doran caught on a topwater deer hair bug this past weekend. :shock: :lol:

KD
08-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Mr Hairstacker, I must correct you. The fish I caught on sunday was 10lbs. on topwater. The 12+ was caught a number of years ago striper fishing. I guess it wasn't clearly stated.

I don't have means to post pics here so I can't show you it's tonsils :lol:

HC
08-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Mike, This is hero work you have done. First is recognition. IMHO there should be a special catagory for records of fish caught by anglers fishing from self propelled craft that is hand launched and carried to the water. This is due to the reduced range of fishing available per launch. and less target spots to choose from. Plus added risk as to weather and larger boats. etc. Second , a 5-1/2 lb LM bass fish means you are more than half way to a double digit fish. Keep up the good work I enjoy reading of your Delta paddle and fish adventures. Hearty Congrats

JerryInLodi
08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
KD, congrats on the 10 # monster. I read on your Blanton post that the fish just sort of slurped the fly down. I guess when a fish gets that big and has a mouth the size of a mayonnaise jar he doesn't have to prove himself by smashing the fly.

What pattern was your deerhair popper, what color?

Great catch!

Hairstacker
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Kevin, I obviously misread, sorry 'bout that. :oops: Still, 10 lbs on top is just incredible!! =D> An amazing fish, I'd be more than happy to try to post a couple pictures of her if it's ok with you, just let me know. :nod:

HC, thank you, I appreciate your very nice comments! I will definitely have them in my mind next time I'm flogging my fly out there while the wind and currents are spinning me around and making me fish over my left shoulder. ](*,) :lol:

I hope you're right about being half way there to a 10 lber. To me, such a fish on top on a fly is such a rare event, it's like hitting a hole in one on the golf course. I know a couple guys who've done it, but it's like a once in a lifetime feat. After Kevin's example, though, I think it make us all believe it's definitely possible. I sincerely hope we ALL have that experience at some point.

SullyTM
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Mike...Is this what I've been missing by being "land-Locked?" :D Looks like I need to re-evaluate?! Looks like your whole hand would fit in the mouth!! And then it's reported that KD lands one twice as big :shock: Ahhhhhh, who said steroids don't make you big :lol: :lol:

Keep a few in the bullpen for me...

Later. Thom

Hairstacker
08-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Thom, when I was 12 years-old, my fishing partner and I made a pact that, when we grew up, we would move to the St. Johns River in Florida, which was advertised to be THE bass capital of the world (as a kid, I had subscriptions to all 3 of the “big 3” outdoor sporting magazines – Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, and Field and Stream). Well, that move never happened but I feel I’ve achieved that goal by moving next door to the California Delta. The Delta may not be the “bass capital” of the world, but I believe it is one of THE very best public bass fisheries in the nation. And let’s not forget about the stripers!

With a 1000+ miles of waterways, there are always “new” waters to explore and experience in the Delta, which always keeps things fresh and interesting. For example, one day last week, I checked out White’s Slough for the first time in the kayak and just had a blast! More choices than time available.

To be co-located next to the Delta and not test its waters with your vise offerings is nothing short of depressing. Once you’ve experienced some great days, you’ll be drawn to it again and again and may find it difficult to find time to fish anywhere else. I know that to be true in my case. You simply MUST find a means to get out on that water. Almost all the fish I’ve been catching can't be reached by a shore-bound angler.

You can have an inflatable kayak with paddle, like mine, delivered to your door for about $80. Save up aluminum cans and recyclable plastic bottles if you have to but please avail yourself of the tremendous opportunities the Delta has to offer.

JerryInLodi
08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Thom, where do you live? If you'd like to go out for an evening's session the bow of my boat is available. We could split gas costs, about two gallons each. ($6). My boat is at Korth's Marina, about 25 minutes away from Lodi, about 15 minutes away from the intersection of Hwy 12 and I-5.

I can be at the boat about 4 in the afternoon and fishing would last until about 8:30.

SullyTM
08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Mike...I have followed your Delta exploits ever since I joined the Forum...I have always been thaaaaaaaat close to being one of the 'floatable", but as you well know things always pop up! Have I missed out? Yes! I mean I don't live that far from Delta. We've tossed some flies together for stripers, but I'm still planning on our Delta Day! :D BTW...The"secret" pond I found has "somrthing"in it...I just have to coax a strike! :lol:

J-I-L...Geez, that's a kind offer! Does any day work better for you? I am out of my zip code for the next week or so (I live in Martinez)...And I still have the 9-5 gig, but if I can work something out...who knows? Maybe we'll catch the elusive "monster?" If not, then the LM will fatten up! What's $3 a gallon??? I remember the gas wars of the 60's when it got down as low as 12 cents a gallon :D

JerryInLodi
08-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Thom, from Martinez to Hwy 12 and Rio Vista is probably a bit to drive. If you can fit a day in, I can pick you up at the dock at the store in Franks Tract. Don't worry about the time so much. As long as you have a cell phone you can call when you get there, I'll be fishing in the mean time. I would guess it's about an hour from Martinez to Bethel Island so if you can sneak out at 4 one day you could make it to Frank's by five.

As far as what day's best for me, doesn't matter much, I get off at 2:20 every day! Go with your schedule. The idea of landlocked is just too hard to handle. You NEED some ON THE WATER time. Consider it as therapy!